BACKGROUND

Sunday, July 30, 2006

It's applicable

My best friend and kindred spirit, Britt, said something to me the other night that I think is profound and worth sharing. She said “Our 20s are for learning lessons. Our 30s are for applying them.”

Britt is 32 and I am 30. We’ve known each other since I was 18 and she was 20. This idea of the 20s being for learning lessons and the 30s being for applying them really struck me because it has, thus far, been my experience that this is true. I’ve been 30 for seven months now and in that time I’ve had to apply many of the lessons I learned before.

I am, at the moment, in a situation where I must apply a lesson. I’m not sure if the lesson that needs to be applied is standing up for myself or detachment. I strongly believe that it is detachment, but there may be an element of standing up for myself in there as well. Whatever it turns out to be, I’ve learned both lessons previously and now I must apply it. It makes it easier that I’ve already learned the lessons through other situations because I can see the similarities between what I’ve been through before and what I’m going through now. That means I need to apply what I've learned. I'm being given the opportunity to do that.

That’s the thing about lessons…they repeat themselves until you learn and start applying what you’ve learned. Think about the themes you’ve seen in your own life: bad boyfriends, bad bosses, co-workers with issues. If you look closely, you can see the same issue. It’s a different person, a different situation, but it’s the same problem.

So this week, I’m going to be applying the lessons I’ve learned in this life.

No comments: