BACKGROUND

Tuesday, November 28, 2006


I am so tired. So very, very tired. I haven't slept well for the last week. I don't know why. It started with being unable to get comfortable one night. I was tossing and turning. It continued going downhill from there.

So, I've switched up my schedule so I can get as much sleep as possible. Instead of going to the gym early in the morning, I now do it over my lunch hour. I can take two hours for lunch if I like so I usually do that and get in a full workout, go home to shower and eat, and then return to work. I will probably go back to morning workouts at some point, but for right now this works.

Anyway, this sleep deprivation thing got me thinking about how I need to slow down. This past month in particular has been nothing but go, go, go. I've had something to do every single weekend in November. Even though many of those things were enjoyable and fun, it still takes its toll to be on the go so often.

Additionally, things have been crazy at work. November and December are supposed to be slow months in the family law business, the theory being that no one wants to get divorced around the holidays or fight the custody battle. It's turned out just the opposite in my practice though. It's crazier than it's ever been.

SO...I'm now building restful periods into my life to help me cope with the constant on the go-ness. Rather than plan things for the weekday evenings, I make sure I come home and eat a good dinner then relax by playing on the internet or watching a favorite TV show. I do a few chores here and there, nothing big, just things I can easily do while watching TV. I make sure to play with the dogs and at least twice a week, I take a hot bubble bath with candles. I also read a few pages of a novel before I go to bed.

It's the little things that start to matter when I'm running myself ragged. I made sure to relax tonight and I think I'll sleep well because of it.

May you all catch some zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz tonight!

1 comment:

Dauphyfan said...

I'm glad you know to take care of yourself and not run yourself ragged. Happy dreaming! Love ya, Britt