BACKGROUND

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Surprise!




This has been a crazy month for me. I can't believe it's already Nov. 11. I started the month with a wonderful trip to Oregon to surprise my mother for her 60th birthday. I flew from Houston to San Francisco to Crescent City, California, where I rented a car and drove the 30 miles to Brookings, Oregon, my hometown on the coast.

I stopped at my favorite florist and got a half dozen roses, three red and three yellow and a big balloon. It was a drizzly day and I ran to the car with the flowers. I drove the two miles or so to my mom's work and went to the door hiding my face behind the balloon. When she answered the door, I lifted the balloon and started singing Happy Birthday. She was shocked and thrilled and started crying and hugging me. It was so wonderful, a great surprise.

I've missed my mom terribly and hadn't gotten to see her since July 2005 when I got married. We had so much fun. We had dinner at all the great Brookings restaurants and I got to meet all her friends from her church, where she also works. We had some great talks. My mother is always full of good advice and gives me things to think about whenever I have a problem.

I went to Oregon to surprise my mom, but it ended up being a great thing for me too. I needed to reconnect with my mother and also with my hometown. Getting away and going back to the place where the foundation for your life was laid gives new perspective.

1 comment:

Kate said...

How cool to have been able to surprise your mom on her birthday! Especially since it's such an involved trip so you know she totally wasn't expecting you. :)