BACKGROUND

Saturday, December 2, 2006

The Ghost of Christmas Past

I'm back from our mini-vacation to Galveston and Dickens on the Strand! It was an absolute blast!! My husband, Chuck, and I drove down last night and met up with my friend, Dalia, and her husband, McKee. They came down from San Antonio. We went to the handbell concert, which was really something. A group of people played well-known Christmas songs using handbells. Beautiful music that was played in an old Catholic Church. It was packed and yet, it was so comfortable. It was a wonderful way to relax after a hard day at work, being in God's house surrounded by beautiful music.

Afterwards, Chuck and I got some dinner and went to bed at our hotel. We were really tired after the long day at work and driving down. This morning, we got up and met Dalia and McKee on the Strand.

We walked the Strand for a good four hours looking at all the vendors' wares and the people dressed in period costumes. Jacob Marley of "Scrooge" fame was kind enough to stop his eternal roaming of the earth to take a picture with me.



I'm glad I put myself on a budget before I went down there because I really could have bought up a ton of things. The vendors had some amazing items. I bought some handcrafted candles, roasted almonds, some homemade dog treats for our boys, and some amazing Arbonne body products. My husband bought several things as well.

We had a great time and will probably do it again next year. It's SO much fun to get away on a little mini-vacation. I also love the Victorian era so seeing the characters from the stories of Charles Dickens walking around made it that much more enjoyable.

1 comment:

East of Oregon said...

Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog today. I really appreciate the encouragement! I think this is my roughest week ever. My legal memo is due 5 minutes ago. My Torts exam is in 3 days. And then more exams to follow. As you know, the pressure is indescribable. Today I'm to the point of "can't do anything so I'll just sit here and fret." Scary.

I enjoyed reading your blog too and it's good to correspond with an Oregonian (I'm not a real one, I just play one on tv :) I did graduate from Oregon State and can't wait to get back some day.

Years ago when I was a kid we lived in League City (my dad is a NASA rocket guy)- south of Houston. I have some very fond memories of life there. And even though I was a kid, I too remember the humidity.

I hope you have a great week coming up and I'll check back with your blog.. take care!!