BACKGROUND

Friday, December 22, 2006

Thursday...all at once



Wow. Yesterday was one of those days where it would have been appropriate to hide under the covers and wait until the day had passed.

It started at 7:45 a.m. with a phone call from my father letting me know my grandmother (his mother) had died. This was not unexpected as she'd been very ill and in the hospital for the last six weeks or so. However, it's still tough when a family member finally does take their last breath. I will be going to the funeral in San Antonio next week.



Then, I had a court appearance for a divorce hearing. My client, the wife, sobbed through the whole thing. I felt so badly for her! As a family law attorney, I have learned to separate myself from my clients' lives and issues, but some days that is harder than others.

After the court appearance, I went back to the office. I had a couple of quiet hours working on other cases until the afternoon...

That is when I appeared by phone in the civil court for a recent case. The civil court is in downtown Houston roughly 30 minutes from where my office is. I said one sentence to the judge, who then went postal on me and ordered me to appear in person with my client in 30 minutes.



Uh, yeah. So here's the thing on that: it was raining cats and dogs. The rain was coming down in sheets. I got in the car and started the drive. It was stop and go all the way. There were two accidents along the route and an ambulance trying to get through. Took me 45 minutes to get to the courthouse where I learned the judge had ruled against us and left. This, despite the fact that I had called the court clerk to let the court know I'd be late (a common practice for attorneys appearing in court). So that sucked.

Then...I drove back to the office in the driving rain. We had our Xmas party last night at The Cheesecake Factory. We got lost on the way because my husband was trying to take an alternate route since there was an accident in the middle of the road we were supposed to take.

Finally, we made it. I had filet mignon, several of my favorite drink, and a huge Strawberry Shortcake all on my bosses dime.

Now, if you need me, I will be hiding under the covers.

2 comments:

East of Oregon said...

oh man! I'm so sorry about your grandmother. And I'm sorry about your yukky day. :(

take care through all the stuff tho...

Dauphyfan said...

Sweetie, I'm so sorry about your grandma. Seems like the rain was appropriate for the mood of the day, eh? Call me anytime if you need a pick-me-up chat. Love ya...:)