BACKGROUND

Monday, January 1, 2007

It was...



"IT WAS the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way..."

This opening passage from "A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens perfectly describes this last year for me. In fact, I believe it's a wonderful description for every year of our life. Every year is filled with the best of times, the worst of times, wisdom, foolishness, belief, incredulity, light, darkness, hope and despair. There's Heaven and Hell, sometimes in equal parts, sometimes in disparate parts.

This year saw the birth of Cora Rose, the first child of our friends Jeff and Angel. Cora came into this world January 4, 2006 at 1 pound, 6 ounces and 11 inches long. She was little, but mighty. Her original due date was March 29. She was in the NICU on that day, but went home soon after. She spent a little over three months in the hospital. She's doing wonderfully now and we give thanks for that every single day.

This year also saw the birth of my career as an attorney. I never thought I would be a practicing lawyer. I enjoyed law school for the most part, but I felt I would use the education in an alternative career. Instead, I ended up doing the thing I feared most and realizing that I am stronger than I thought I was, that I can venture into the valley of my fear and come out the other side.

This year, my husband changed jobs and careers. He went from office machine repairman to computer forensics technician. He assists in investigating crimes people commit via computer and internet technology. He loves it and I love that he loves it. It's wonderful to see him so fulfilled by his career.

This year, my husband and I celebrated our first wedding anniversary (July 9). We had a wonderful time and I realized that we are more and more in love with each other every day. He is "the one" and that is reaffirmed every single day of our lives together.


This year, I made my weight loss goal. After 10.5 months of exercise and sensible eating, I lost 60 pounds and 8 sizes. I've never felt better in my life and I'm stronger than I've ever been as well. It's wonderful to be thin, but it's even better to be fit.

This year, my mother turned 60 and I made a surprise trip to my hometown of Brookings, Oregon to visit her and celebrate that milestone with her. It was a wonderful trip. I hadn't been there in 3 years and so much had changed and yet, remained the same. I saw things in a different light than I ever had before. It was a good lesson in the importance of revisiting your roots and knowing that you made good choices to move on.

We have been blessed this year. Even through the trials of life, I give thanks because I know the foundation of my life is rock solid. I have parents who love me, a husband who loves me, wonderful friends, and the wisdom to know that the hard times will pass and the good ones will stay forever in my memory.

Here's to 2006: Thanks for the memories!

2 comments:

singaporegrrl said...

Wishing you all the best in 2007. Your 2006 sounded like a pretty good year. :)

DayByDay4-2Day said...

Wow that is a great success. I've been trying for years to loose weight.