BACKGROUND

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

May you live in interesting times



"May you live in interesting times."


This is purported to be an old Chinese curse, the implication being that uninteresting times would be peaceful and tranquil. The origin of the phrase is actually unknown, but going with the possibility that it's an old Chinese curse, I put forth that it's actually a blessing. I've certainly been living in interesting times lately.

Right now, I'm on the precipice of great change. Getting out of my old job has made such a difference in my life, I feel like I can finally breathe deeply and fully. Today was a beautiful sunny day and I felt so alive, so full of hope for the future. There is so much to look forward to.

The same is true of my friend, Angel, who was fired from her job recently. It was an unfair dismissal to be sure and I say that not because she's my friend, but because our exits from our jobs, though I quit and she was fired, are actually linked. That is a story for another day.

In any case, Angel is optimistic about her future. She was recently in a bad car accident in which her car flipped onto the driver’s side. Two days after that, she was fired. We have spent this week getting her life back on track. She had her first physical therapy appointment today and we’ve discussed possible job ideas. Her hope for the future and her faith in God is inspiring. Both of us have been so blessed despite what some might consider negative events that have occurred this last week.

When I listened to God about quitting my job, I immediately felt such relief. Angel losing her job was also a blessing in many ways. I have learned that when God whispers to us, telling us what we need to do, we should do it without question…He will provide the answers.

1 comment:

DayByDay4-2Day said...

It may take a while, but if it is truely for aq reason that it will happen. I've only been back to work after a year, but the wait was worth this job.