BACKGROUND

Monday, February 26, 2007

Busy Day for Death


The Grim Reaper was busy today. Dear Husband's maternal grandfather, Bill, died and my mother called tonight to inform me that Father Tom had died. Father Tom was a wonderful priest who really embodied all that a priest should be. He was very good to me and helped me when I was going through some tough times in life.

Both Bill and Father Tom had been ill for quite some time, but the finality of death still hits hard.

That said, it amazes me how many people are afraid of death and will do anything to keep any mention or sign of it away from their consciousness. Personally, I do not have such a fear. We are all going to die. It's part of God's divine plan for us so death itself doesn't bother me.

And while we're at it, I'll reveal a (possibly twisted) quirk of mine: I enjoy cemeteries. I find them peaceful. I lived right next door to a cemetery when I first moved to Houston. It was the College Memorial Park Cemetery, one of the oldest burial grounds for African-Americans in Houston. It is no longer a "working" cemetery and unfortunately has not been kept up well, but it was still quite peaceful to walk through. The photo on the left is an actual picture from the College Memorial Park Cemetery.

On another note, I think it's best to have a good sense of humor about the whole death thing. We should celebrate the life of the person who passed and remember that they are in God's hands and that they would probably appreciate a little humor now that they are through the hard part:)


I truly believe that those who pass before us are always watching over us, helping us when they can. I believe in angels and I think many of our relatives become such when they pass. It's a comforting thought.

Anyway, tonight I will be praying for the souls of Father Tom and Bill. Father Tom has probably already befriended Bill up in Heaven. He was just that sort of man. They are both in good company with each other.

2 comments:

East of Oregon said...

Sorry to hear about the deaths. Good to hear you are dealing with it in a positive way.

Dauphyfan said...

You have always had the good fortune to take a positive outlook on just about everything. I too am sorry to hear about your losses. Was that the same Father Tom whom your mother visited at that nursing home in Eugene way back when?