BACKGROUND

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

10...5..1...Now

Once in awhile, it's helpful to examine where you've been and where you are now. It's interesting to look back and see how far you've come and how much you have to look forward to.


10 years ago (March 1997), I had just turned 21. I was planning my first wedding and finishing up my junior year of college at the University of Oregon. I had declared a second major that year and I was scrambling to finish the credits I needed for that major so I could graduate in four years as planned.


5 years ago (March 2002), I had just received my LSAT results and I knew I had a good shot of getting into law school. I took the test in February and was extremely worried about how it would turn out. I needn't have worried. I got a good score and in April, I received my first acceptance to law school.

1 year ago (March 2006), I was 8 months into my second marriage, this time with the right person. I had finished law school the previous May and passed the bar on my first try. I was working periodically for The Houston Chronicle editing the Enron Trial Transcripts for the Chronicle Website. It was interesting work and paid pretty well for the amount of work involved. I was job hunting for a permanent position as an attorney and feeling scared that I wouldn't have a clue what I was doing as a lawyer.

Now (March 2007), I am job hunting again after quitting my job in January at a firm and as it turns out, I have more than a few clues about what to do as a lawyer. I've been working as an attorney since November 2005, when I took my first case through the Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program. I am always learning and always growing as an attorney. One thing that has been an amazing positive in this process is how willing other attorneys are to help. Even opposing counsel assisted me in learning what I need to know.

I have never had more peace in my life than I do now. I know that I am on the right path and that faith is the answer to all life's questions.