BACKGROUND

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

WTH?

Today is a MUCH better day. I slept in this morning and then spent a leisurely day at home doing little things I've been wanting to get done. The most important thing I did to restore my sanity was to turn the cell phone off. Yup, left it off all day until I had to make a phone call around 4:30 p.m. It felt so good not to be bothered by it ringing all day. So, I'm feeling way better than I did yesterday.

On another note, and also to make sense of the title of this post, what the hell is up with job sites? I signed up with a site that shall remain nameless (we'll call it CB) that sends job postings once a week to my inbox based on the qualifications I put into the system. Ok, I don't know if they've got me confused with some guy in Duluth or something, but here's a sample of the things I keep getting each week:

1. Bilingual Project Administrative Assistant. Um...I don't speak Spanish or any other foreign language. Heck, some days I question my ability to speak English. Nowhere on my application to CB did I indicate I speak another language and yet, I receive job listings for bilingual positions ALL. THE. TIME.

2. Recruiter - Consumer Banking. Now, this one might be of interest if I knew anything about banking or financial transactions. But I don't. I can balance my own checkbook and that's about the extent of my financial knowledge. Even that skill is fading seeing as how I have no money and therefore no need to balance the checkbook. Anyway, once again, nowhere on my application to CB did I indicate that I knew anything about the financial industry. If I knew anything about finances, I'd have saved tons of money and would now be living off my savings while leisurely job hunting.

3. Contract PC Repair and Network Trainer. Haaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...I'm done laughing now. No, no wait, no I'm not haaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaa. Ahhh, ok really done now. Yeah seriously dear readers, NO WAY IN HELL, HEAVEN, OR ANYWHERE ELSE could I ever do this job. Dear Husband is the PC Repair and Network tech/trainer around this place. I have less than zero aptitude for this sort of work. You know what's coming next...nowhere on my application to CB did I indicate that I knew anything about fixing or training people in computer hardware issues.

And while we're at it, why do employers on sites such as CB fail to list the salary/wage of the advertised job? I have never understood why they would want to waste their time with having people apply and then say "Nope, sorry, I can't work for that wage." It's not that you don't WANT to work for a certain wage, but in some cases you really can't because you have bills to pay that exceed said wage. Now, some might argue that making something is better than making nothing. And yeah, that is true in the short run. But in the long run it makes no sense because once you find a job that does pay an acceptable wage, you will quit the low paying one.

I've seen this in action many times. I've taken jobs that paid virtually nothing in comparison to the bills I had to pay and it's never worked out to be a good thing for either myself or my employer. I'd rather give it another month or two and see if I can find something that will fit.

In the meantime, I'm removing my info from sites like CB. I don't think I'll ever have the skills to be a mechanic/day trader/foreign language teacher in Korea/yoga instructor.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Good for you for turning off the cell phone. Sometimes you just need that for your sanity.

Forgive me for laughing about your experiences with the job site(s). DH and I were out of work a few years ago and it was so frustrating to see an email and then be disappointed when it turned out to be for "marine biologist, 10 years experience or more, others need not apply." Argh!!

And I totally hear you on the salary thing. You know it's also so they can lowball someone who doesn't know better or who is desperate. And then hope that they won't bail as soon as they find something better. One thing I love about being a teacher--my salary is based on years of experience and that's posted online for all to see. I can supplement it with clubs and sports and all that, but overall, I have an idea of what I'm getting into.

I feel your pain and hope that you find something fabulous that you love and pays well. :)

Dauphyfan said...

So that's why I kept getting your voicemail...the one day I call you...:) No seriously, I'm glad you got to get a breather. I did leave you a message by the way that will hopefully ease your pain, a little anyway. Now go let Calgon take you away!

Dauphyfan said...

And by the way, I totally remember "NATAS" girl and all of her roommate's stuff she tossed out of the fourth floor window. Dorms make for strange bedfellows I guess. Remember "T" taping her eyes to make them slanted? Go figure.