BACKGROUND

Monday, May 7, 2007

You're Getting Sleepy...all the time

Anyone else ever feel like you're sleepwalking through life? I've felt that way for SO long now, I don't even know what normal is anymore. Sometimes I think I'm a functioning zombie, except I do tend to look better than the undead on any given day.

I can remember being tired after school as early as first grade. I can't remember if I was tired during school, but I probably was. I was never a morning person so I'm guessing I was tired at the start of the day. I do remember being exhausted in junior high and high school though. I hated film day in science class because when the lights went down, I wanted to lay my head on the desk and sleep so badly.

Things got a bit better in college because I lived in the dorms and was able to take a nap after class or in-between classes. Plus, being able to pick my own schedule was a huge help. I could sign up for later classes and get more sleep in the morning. Still, it didn't entirely help as I remember being somewhat tired even back then.

The trend continued through my working life, law school, and into the present. Even though I am not currently working, I still find myself tired, but unable to get all the rest I need. It's a real burden because I would love to know what it feels like to be entirely awake and alert. I can't remember a time when I did feel like that. Well, I guess that's not entirely accurate. I took a nap once a couple of years ago and when I awoke, I felt awake and energized. I thought "This must be what it's like to feel normal."

SO...I've decided to ask my doctor to refer me for a sleep study. I need to know what is going on that is making it hard for me to get the rest I need. Since this has been a lifelong thing, I can rule out any sort of stress or situational issue.

Stay alert for the update:)

2 comments:

Dauphyfan said...

Well, I can verify that you are not a zombie...:) You don't have the subtle pea green shade of skin. However, the sleep study may not be a bad idea. My problem is that I postpone bedtime, even when I wake up exhausted in the morning and swear to get to bed early...guess what? Stay up late again for some unknown reason. It's a vicious cycle. Get some sleep tonight sweetie! Count a few sheep while you are at it...:)

The Curmudgeon said...

I'm sure I wasn't sleepy once -- but it had to be before children....