BACKGROUND

Monday, June 18, 2007

Army Wives

I'm not a big watcher of series television. I used to be, but that changed once I went to law school. Even though I've been out of school for more than two years now, I still haven't gone back to watching a whole lot of series TV. The exception had been The Gilmore Girls, but now that it has ended, I've found another series to fill the void.

Army Wives is Lifetime TV's new series. It is a one-hour drama focusing on several women and one man on an Army Post who are married to soldiers of various ranks. It hooked me from the first episode and that is rare for a show to do. Three episodes of the series have aired now and I have been glued to every single one of them. It is a fantastic show.

My father served for 21 years in the U.S. Army. I talked to him about the show and he confirmed that much of what is portrayed is accurate. I like it when a show gets the facts right for the particular subject it features, especially given the fact that almost all shows about law (my profession) on TV are completely inaccurate.

Army Wives features the stories of four women married to soldiers and one man whose wife is the soldier. It gives a unique perspective on life in the military and what those left at home go through not only coping with their husbands and wives fighting in danger zones, but also with the unspoken hierarchy on the post.

I highly recommend this series to anyone who is looking for a new addiction now that other TV series are on hiatus. You will be hooked on this from the first episode. The show is on Sunday nights at 10 p.m./9 p.m. Central on Lifetime TV. You can watch the episodes that have already premiered here.

2 comments:

Shelby said...

I hadn't seen the show -thanks for the review! It sounds very interesting.

How's your little dog doing?

take care:)

Bob Andelman said...

Season Two of Army Wives debuts Sunday June 8, 2008 at 10 p.m. Eastern. You might enjoy this Mr. Media podcast interview with Katherine Fugate, creator of Lifetime TV's hit series "Army Wives." She talks about Season Two, working with Kim Delaney and Catherine Bell, being a writer on "Xena," and life with her aunt, Barbara Eden ("I Dream of Jeannie").