BACKGROUND

Thursday, July 26, 2007

It's All Good...Even When It's Not

I've been at my new job for three weeks now and I love it. It's a good job in a nice area of town, the commute is not too difficult, and I can listen to my iPod at work. The things that are not so pleasant about the job are those things we all find in our offices no matter where we live or what we do: difficult co-workers, unfriendly people, office politics...you all know what I mean.

I have noticed these things in my new place of work, but what I've also noticed is how indifferent I am to all of it. I am in my 30s now, have a law degree, and have worked in several different fields. I have learned to focus on what really matters. I can remember my first job out of college and subsequent jobs as I moved on and up the job ladder. I invested so much in those jobs. I cared about the office gossip, I came home at night tearing my hair out over idiot bosses or stupid co-workers. Now...I don't. I don't care about office gossip and I don't come home tearing my hair out over bosses or co-workers who have issues. Now, I let it go and I realize that none of it matters.

This is not to say I'm immune from workplace annoyances, but that is all they are: annoyances. They are no longer the big, draining, all-consuming investment I once made in the workplace goings on. Right now, I am dealing with a difficult co-worker and I vent to friends and family about her, but then I let it go. It doesn't stay with me the rest of the day and into the evening. It gets carried out of my mind on the breezes of love and happiness that make up my life.

It is so easy for us all to fall into the pattern of complaining about the issues and people at work that bother us. This afternoon I made the conscious decision to stop myself when I do fall into the venting. Even though my negative thoughts don't stay with me any longer, the fact that they show up at all means that I need to make a concerted effort to privately acknowledge them when they come to my mind and then let them go without ever giving them a voice. To give them a voice is to give them power.

For the first time in my working life, I realize how unimportant the trials and tribulations of the working world are. I have goals and plans in front of me (my future career plans will soon be revealed here) that I am excited about pursuing. I have so much to look forward to and that is what I focus on during the day. I do my work to the best of my ability, but everything else falls away as I remember that my good thoughts and positive actions may turn that difficult co-worker around, that there is nothing I can add to office gossip that won't be negative and possibly hurtful, and that everyone around me is a teacher to me as I am to them. I hope they learn something good from me.

1 comment:

Dauphyfan said...

Isn't it nice when you get to that point where you realize that work is not your life. If you are fortunate enough to love your job, then that is great. However, it is the life you come home to at night that is the real deal. Like we used to say about boyfriends, jobs will come and go...but friends and family are forever. I'm proud of you...:) And you know you can vent anytime, the need for that may never go away as long as every office village has its idiot.