BACKGROUND

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

What the Future Holds

In previous postings, I have alluded to the change of direction in my career. I can reveal my plans now since I've told the news in person to people that I wanted to tell face to face. On August 20th, I will be starting classes for my Master of Arts degree in Counseling Psychology. I plan to use the education to open my own therapy practice.

I've always been intrigued by psychology and I've thought about pursuing it over the years, but it wasn't something I put serious effort toward achieving. There were other things I was doing that took my energy. Now is the time to move forward with this and do it. There is a season for everything and this is the season for me to pursue this. I'm really excited about this. It will allow me to have more control over my working life. I will be able to open my own practice or work for someone else if I so choose. It's all about having the choice. I can do without the drama and stress that traditional workplaces bring.

In the past 10 years, I've learned so much about myself and what's important to me, the things that really matter. When I was in my 20s, I wanted to finish college and I did that. Then I wanted to work and pay some of my school debt, and I did that. Along the way, I had some great experiences both personally and professionally. I also had some difficult experiences. They have all come together to make me the person I am today. I am proud of who I've become and I look forward to continuing to learn both academically and personally. I can't wait to see what the future holds!

2 comments:

Dauphyfan said...

I'm glad I got to hear it all face to face. Just so you know...I am VERY proud of you for doing this and was not really that surprised when you first told me. It was more like...it's about time as I felt like this was where you ought to be all along. Guess it's my turn to be the cheerleader again...:) Woohoo!

Shelby said...

congratulations to you!!!! this is going to be an adventure!!