BACKGROUND

Friday, August 10, 2007

Breaking the Surface

It's been an interesting week. I quit my job yesterday after realizing that there was no possibility of my being happy in the position. This decision came after a difficult meeting with a manager and co-worker. The job was full of negativity and disillusionment on the part of many of the people there. I've seen worse in the workplace and I've seen better. A dear friend of mine who has been in the working world for many years says there are no good workplaces; all employers are jerks. I'm sure there are some exceptions to that, but I am starting to put some stock into the theory. In any case, I woke up this morning feeling refreshed and ready to move forward. I have some VERY good leads on jobs that I am excited about.

This was truly a great day. I slept in, met a friend for lunch, got my hair cut, and got in a great workout at the gym. It's great to feel so refreshed and excited about the future and all that is coming up. The other day, I ordered the books for my Master's program and I can't wait until they get here so I can start reading them. I know, that sounds strange, but I am so ready to dive in.

In other wonderful news, my best friend got a job!! She's been looking hard and all her effort has come to fruition in the form of teaching 6th grade. I am SO, SO excited for her and VERY, VERY proud of her. She is awesome. I talked to her last night about my job stuff, her job stuff, and general stuff. It was a good conversation with laughter and fun. Thank God for friends.

Tomorrow, I have lunch plans and I will be getting a facial. I have a lot of errands to run as well. I look forward to checking things off my list. I feel SO great right now. There's nothing like knowing I'm moving in the right direction. It's like being underwater and finally getting to come up for air. I've broken the surface!

5 comments:

Shelby said...

you go girl!!! :)

I know exactly what you mean by looking forward to the books and diviing in - - I'm still waiting to hear if I'm accepted in grad school here.. I hate the waiting.

Classes start Aug. 22nd and I'd like to get started with my books/reading too..

Have fun at you FACIAL - sweet!

take care.

Kate said...

I am so pleased for you! That was just a soul-crushing job environment. Sure, there are shenanigans almost everywhere, but those people were out of control!

Hooray for your friend's job! It's been a good week for teaching jobs! :) I can totally relate to your breaking the surface analogy. Have I mentioned how happy I am for you?

Dauphyfan said...

You have every right to feel good and I know that you made the move to leave that toxic place. Life is way too short to worry about how to fit a square peg in the round hole (so to speak). Great things are in store for you, I can feel it!

Dauphyfan said...

Oops, forgot to add...thank you for the kind words too. Love ya!

Where fibers meet mud said...

Indeed there is craziness at every job - but that is why they call it work - if it were time off or a hobby - the craziness would be self inflicted and could be controlled... your friends are right - some jobs are worse than others and over my X-X years of working I always place appreciation and self worth at the top of the list of what I want to feel at the end of the day...