BACKGROUND

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

D'oh!

It's been a busy week. On Sunday, I took my nephew S, and his friends from down the street, K and M, to the movies. S is 13, K is 12, M is 11. We had lunch at McDonald's and then went to see The Simpsons. It was a cute movie and good for the kids as well as for me. There was definitely some adult humor that the kids missed, but there was enough kid humor that it was good for everyone. The whole jaunt cost me about $75 though. D'oh!! Next time, they only get one thing at the concession stand.

We made it through the week with S and there have been very few problems. Last night, we had a couple of discussions in regards to lying and being respectful to us and others. S has never really had any sort of discipline in his life and he's been allowed to get away with very poor behavior choices. That is not something I allow in my home. It's been an adjustment for him, but Dear Husband and I stand our ground. We are loving, but very firm and that has helped to make things smoother. S will be here for two more weeks. I suspect that we will have a few more rounds with him in regards to his behavior, but I know that it won't be a real problem because we are strong in how we deal with him. We have some fun things planned for the remaining time he is here. I look forward to that.

Next week is going to be a big week for me. I'm starting my Master's program on Monday. I've received one of the books I ordered for the program and I am going to dive into reading it this week. I am used to having to read ahead and be prepared to discuss the material on day one of class. That is the way it works in law school. You get the syllabus ahead of time and you better come to day one of class ready and able to discuss the first set of assigned reading. With the Master's, that is not the case. It's really going to help me having been through law school because I am used to reading ahead so it's not strange to me to do that.

So that is life for me these days. BUSY, BUSY! But I like it that way. Nothing like being busy to feel alive and accomplished.

3 comments:

Dauphyfan said...

Amen to that! You are in for a lot of work, but it is sooooo up your alley. That's the beauty of a Master's Degree...you are there to learn because you want to and are often a better student for it. You'll probably start diagnosing your friends and family in no time...;P

Kate said...

I'm so excited for you!

Your nephew is very lucky to have this time with you. It's obvious that you care about him and kids really, really need and crave structure. They'll fight you, but they'll respect you for it and feel more safe.

Sfrajett said...

You sound like a great parent. And the Master's Degree sounds like it will be challenging and--dare I say--fun! Good for you and enjoy going back to school. I'l be interested to hear what the experience feels like for you.