BACKGROUND

Sunday, August 5, 2007

It's Essential


I have a new addiction. I am absolutely hooked on iTunes Essentials. It's crack for music lovers, I am telling you. I have the iPod Shuffle. I use it at work to tune out co-workers who shouldn't be allowed to speak...ever. I also use it at the gym to keep me going on the treadmill. In other words, it's essential (there's that word again) to my sanity.

A couple of weeks ago, a friend mentioned iTunes Essentials to me when I was on the hunt for some new music. Basically, iTunes has put together a bunch of songs in various categories. For example "Morning Motivators" is a collection of songs to get you going in the morning. They have the same thing for afternoon and evening. You can find everything there from "'40s Pop" to "Portland" which is songs either featuring or somehow related to the city of Portland, Oregon. They have songs for a lot of major cities. I spent two hours the other night going through all the music and practically went broke filling my cart with stuff I love. They are always adding to it as well. I can see how this could be big trouble for me.

In other life news, my 13-year-old nephew is staying with Dear Husband and I for three weeks. He can be a difficult child - his start in life was not the best it could have been. He was born to my brother and his wife who were 19 and 17 respectively at the time of his birth. Both were drug addicts during and after his birth. My mother has been raising him since he was 8 months old. His doctors now suspect he may have Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS). What's interesting about him though is how intelligent he is. He's been tested and it has been determined that he is extremely intelligent, beyond his age group. The problem is not his intellect, but rather his behavior. The FAS and lack of discipline throughout his life has produced a child with some issues to say the least.

However, day one has been fine. Dear Husband took him out for lunch and to the range to learn to shoot safely. I went grocery shopping and spent our life savings so we can feed this kid for the time he is here. I don't know how parents don't have a second job just to pay the grocery bill for teenagers.

I have faith that the rest of the time he is here will go just as well as day one. I know there will be some ups and downs, but I also know that Dear Husband and I can handle it.

2 comments:

Dauphyfan said...

Welcome to the dark side of parenting...THE GROCERY BILL...dundundunnnnnnnn! For something else to do, You should take him down to the Gulf one day if you can. He'd probably enjoy it, I know I did.

Shelby said...

I have two teenagers - I understand this of which you speak :)