BACKGROUND

Sunday, September 2, 2007

Lessons from The Peanut Gallery

Since my last blog was such a downer, I decided a blog was in order about the lessons we can learn from our canine companions. Here are some things I've learned from my puppy, Peanut (who is on the cloud in the picture at right):

1. If you find yourself stuck, keep barking. Eventually someone will come to your rescue.

2. Keep turning around and you will find the perfect spot.

3. Chase your own tail: make your own fun.

4. When the world is coming down on you, take a nap.

5. If you're scared, cuddle up next to someone who loves you.

6. Have a confident bark...even if you don't really feel confident.

7. Sniff everything before committing to it.

8. Your mother will always love you...even if you chew her brand new shoes.

9. When the people you love come home, always be excited to see them.

10. Always pee before going to bed.

Peanut is only 9 months old, but she's already taught me so much. I am sure there are many more good lessons to come.

On another note, since I've gotten several questions about it, we have removed Bam from our home. Dear Husband took him to Animal Control yesterday. Because he bit me, he will be quarantined for 10 days and then either adopted or put down. I am sad to think he will be put down even after the trouble he caused. At his heart, he's a good dog who needs his own family that can give him the individual attention that we were unable to provide. I pray he finds that.

Last night, I removed his crate from the kitchen and did a thorough cleaning of the kitchen floor and the walls surrounding the crate. I hadn't realized there was blood on the wall near the crate. I suspect it came from Bam's mouth where he bit into Chip and me. In any case, it took a bit of scrubbing, but it came off. I put our kids' bedding down where his crate used to be and moved their food into the kitchen so they would get the idea that Bam was gone permanently and that they had their space back.

Now that Bam is gone, Chip and Norman have become visibly relaxed. Both are resting more comfortably and are no longer exhibiting signs of fear. Peanut never had a problem with Bam, he played quite well with her, so I think she's just wondering where he went. Chip is healing well. He has a follow-up vet appointment at noon today. I will report back on how that goes. I am healing well also. The stitches are doing their job and I will go back to the doctor in a couple of weeks to have them removed.

I appreciate the support of my friends during this whole ordeal. Thank you all!

5 comments:

Dauphyfan said...

I know that wasn't an easy decision to let Bam go, but it will be safer for all. Chip and the others need peace of mind. Hopefully the powers that be will find Bam a good home. He got dealt a raw deal in his previous home you rescued him from, but unfortunately he carries the scars with him. Your lessons you listed are so right on. Very cute and very helpful. I love the "chase your own tail" and "take a nap" ones especially. Anyhow, keep healing in every way.

Shelby said...

love these - especially the "keep barking..somebody will eventually come to the rescue."

Dogs are persisent. Yay for them :)

Kate said...

I'm so sorry that it turned out the way it did. Think about the good you did in giving Bam a loving home for as long as you did.

Tilly send kisses!

MikeAndLiz said...

I know it wasn't easy, but that you had to do what was best for all of them... ((Hugs))

Davenports said...

I'm so late on this, but I just wanted to say I'm really sorry about Bam. And you and Chip. I hope you are healing well.