BACKGROUND

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Crazy Holidays

It's been a crazy holiday season. I ended up in the emergency room on Thanksgiving day with Dear Husband. He had been coughing and stuffy the week preceding the holiday. The day of Thanksgiving, he wasn't even able to go to the dinner at my family's home. My dad and I went and brought him back a plate. When we got home, I decided to take him to the ER because he sounded horrible and hadn't been getting any better even though he'd been sick for about 6 days at that point. I told him I thought he had bronchitis and he should go to the ER.

Of course, in typical man fashion, he protested, but then finally gave in. We went to the ER at a small hospital in a town called Hondo as it was the closest one. The doctor diagnosed him with...guess what...bronchitis. Yup, I was right. Which Dear Husband later admitted and that was quite the major event since he has such a hard time admitting it when I am right;) Anyway, he got a shot at the hospital and a couple of prescriptions, which my dad and I retrieved, driving 60 miles round-trip because the only open pharmacy on the holiday was in San Antonio. Dear Husband is doing much better now.

In other news, I have finished a presentation and two testing/reports I had to do for my psychology class. The only things left to do now are the final exams for the two classes I am taking. I will take one of those exams this week and the last exam next Saturday. I'm looking forward to not having to drive to Victoria every Saturday (155 miles one-way). Although, I have to say that I have listened to several good books on tape during the drive. These three are worth mentioning:

Quentins by Maeve Binchy. This is the story of a restaurant, Quentins, in Dublin, Ireland and the many people who have passed through it. Ella Brady, who has known the restaurant since childhood, sets out to do a documentary of the restaurant and its stories.

Midwives by Chris Bohjalian. Midwife Sybil Danforth takes desperate measures to save a baby's life on an icy winter night in rural Vermont. She performs an emergency cesarean section on a mother she believes has died of a stroke. But was the mother dead or did Sybil inadvertently kill her? Questions of morals, ethics, and midwifery versus modern medicine are raised as Sybil goes on trial for the killing of her patient.

The Summerhouse by Jude Deveraux. Three best friends, all with the same birthday, are about to turn forty. Celebrating at a summerhouse in Maine, Leslie Headrick, Madison Appleby, and Ellie Abbott are taking stock of their lives and loves, their wishes and choices. But none of them expect the gift that awaits them at the summerhouse: the chance for each of them to turn their "what-might-have-beens" into reality.

3 comments:

Kate said...

First, I love the new layout!

Second, bronchitis is the worst. I'm glad your hubby is better now. And how come emergencies never happen when the pharmacies are open??

Books on tape are the best thing about long car trips. I drive to Dallas a lot and it makes the trip seem shorter.

Kate said...

P.S. Many thanks for your kind words about my grandma. :)

Shelby said...

hope your hubby is doing better. the books on tape thing is such a good idea..I'm especially intrigued about the Ireland restaurant one..