BACKGROUND

Friday, December 14, 2007

Happy Birthday Britt!

Today is my best friend, Britt's, 34th birthday. I thought it only fitting to post a blog about her today. I have known Britt since 1994 when I was 18 and she was 20. We met at the University of Oregon where we were both living in the International dorms in Hamilton Hall. Ah, memories.

That was an interesting first year at UO. We met three other girls: Nami (who was Britt's roommate), January (my next door neighbor) and Jen (who lived at the end of the hall). For some reason, the five of us gravitated to one another and spent that year together. We loved each other, fought with each other, ate together, played together, studied together. After that first year, we all went our separate ways to some degree, but at the end of the day, Britt and I were the ones still standing.

Britt is my kindred spirit, the person in this world who knows who I really am and still loves me anyway. We share a love of chips & salsa, useless trivia, idle chat, gymnastics, figure skating, and Corn Pops...all the staples of life. Britt has been a part of every big event that has happened in my adult life and I have been there for hers as well. I remember the first time I met her now-husband, I remember her telling me she was pregnant with her son and then later, her daughter. I knew she would make a wonderful mother and I was not wrong about that. Her children are great examples of what happens when you've got good parenting skills.

I've always admired Britt's patience and her ability to forge ahead no matter the circumstances. She is a person for whom the glass is always half full. And even when the glass is empty, she sees the possibility of it being full. She is always learning, always seeking out ways to do good in this world. She is just an awesome person and I am so glad to be a part of her life.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRITT!

Here's to many more years of full glasses and chips and salsa!


3 comments:

gazza said...

"We all went out separate ways to some degree"... well, since you were at college, I would hope so!

Ha ha. Sorry.

Happy birthday to Britt!

Dauphyfan said...

You have no idea how much I needed a lift like this. It was a rollercoaster birthday, with many highs and lows. You always know when to swoop in and make everything better. Every word you wrote...right back at ya! Love and many thanks for an awesome 13+ years! BTW, how young do we look?!

Shelby said...

lovely birthday wishes for your friend!! :)