BACKGROUND

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Review of 2007 - You Won't Be Tested on This Material

I'm stealing this idea from CS over at Another Tangential Thinker. You take the first sentence of the first blog for each month of the year and put it together in a paragraph. It makes for some interesting paragraphs. Here's mine:

"IT WAS the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way..." This morning, I took our boys in to the vet to be groomed. I spent Thursday and Friday in all-day CLEs. I recently took a job working overnights two days a week. Hi, my name is Shelley and I'm a scrapbook addict. It's been an interesting week. I got a new job this week. I have a new addiction. Since my last blog was such a downer, I decided a blog was in order about the lessons we can learn from our canine companions. It's been a good weekend. Peanut and I had a great weekend at my dad's house. It's been a crazy holiday season.

The first sentence really sums up the whole year. It was indeed the best of times and the worst of times in many ways. Here are the things that happened through the year:

January: I quit my job at the law firm after deciding that they were unethical and I could no longer work for such people. My friend, Angel, was in a terrible car accident and then fired from her job.

February: Peanut became a part of our family, I turned 31 and I had the worst food poisoning I've ever had. I was terribly dehydrated and sick. Dear Husband's grandfather died as did a wonderful priest I knew from my childhood.

March: My friend Angel was hospitalized with pneumonia for five days and then spent three weeks recuperating at my house.

April: I took a job working overnights at my gym. It didn't last long because it took too much out of me to work the night shift. We let Peanut sleep in our bed with us through the night for the first time. She's been there ever since. I finished my first scrapbook project and I flew to Oregon to attend my best friend's graduation. She got her M.A. degree in teaching. I was very proud! We took on a foster dog.

May: Peanut was spayed and I was very worried about her. It was hard to leave her by herself at the vet's overnight. I bought a Butler Bag, which I absolutely love still.

June: I got a job working at Curves as a fitness trainer. This didn't last long since I ended up going on an emergency trip to Oregon when my mother was hospitalized and placed in the ICU. Our dog, Chip, had surgery to remove the lump from his head. I started watching Army Wives, which is a fabulous show and should be on again this Spring.

July: I got another job working at a printing company. My best friend came to visit me for a week and we had SO much fun together. I was officially accepted to my M.A. program in Counseling Psychology.

August: My nephew came to stay with us for three weeks. I quit the printing company job. Peanut got her first grooming. I started classes for my M.A., which involved driving to Victoria (155 miles one way) every Saturday. Our foster dog attacked Chip and caused a lot of injury to his back and also to my thumb. Chip and I both had stitches. By law, the foster dog had to be taken to Animal Control.

September: I started a new job as an executive assistant. I finished a pro bono divorce case that I had been working on for 18 months. Peanut went to her first birthday party at her friend, Spike's, house.

October: I got tired of driving to Victoria and started listening to books on tape. Peanut celebrated her first Halloween by helping me hand out candy and dressing up like a Princess:) I quit the job as an executive assistant.

November: Peanut and I went to her grandpa's house in San Antonio. It was her first trip there. We returned later in the month for Thanksgiving. Dear Husband was in the ER on Thanksgiving Day with bronchitis.

December: We celebrated Peanut's first birthday on December 9 (she was born December 1) with friends and family. I got a job as an International Adoption Caseworker. I took my first spinning class. My friends, Mike and Elizabeth, adopted their son after waiting for 18 months. Dear Husband and I went to Oregon to spend Christmas with my mom. It was a great time.

Whew. So to recap, I quit four jobs and got a fifth. That is more jobs in one year than I've had in my entire life. We adopted Peanut who has been the love of our lives. I took three trips to Oregon. My best friend came to visit. I started school for my M.A. degree. DH and I were both ill for several varying months.

Through it all, I learned a lot and I wouldn't trade the experiences, good or bad, for anything. Thanks for the memories 2007 and may 2008 be a year of happiness, prosperity, and growth for all of us.

6 comments:

Shelby said...

Great year end post.. I took your lead and did the same. Happy new year's eve! :)

Ruzanne said...

If you think the law firm was unehtical you haven't seen anything until you work at an International Adoption agency. Where have you been with all the fraud in Guate, Vietnam, etc., these past few months?
It is hard to believe you might have a law degree not knowing that Adoption Agencies is a very lucrative business, check out their 990 IRS forms free here:
http:///www.guidestar.com
and the least regulated.
5 agencies have already closed down this year and the Feds are investigating about 14 more:
Reaching Arms International
Waiting Angels
Project Oz
Focus on Children
Do a google on these and while you are at it google rainsavage: this is the family that is currently caught in limbo with the USCIS because the Adoption agency FAILED to report that the adoptive father had a DWI. Do your research before you decide to work in a corrupt industry.

Lawfrog said...

Ruzanne,

Every industry has some agencies/work sites that are unethical. Having those shut down is important for those who are victimized by them as well as for society at large.

The unethical players should not cast a negative light on everyone in that field. A few bad apples in an industry do not make for a bad industry as a whole. The agency I work for is very ethical, has been in business for many, many years, and follows a high standard in all that they do.

Your response indicates to me that you have some degree of personal attachment to this issue. I hope your situation, whatever it might be, is resolved in the best possible manner.

CS said...

Oh, sure, start with a literary quote and look all intellectual while I start with talk about food. Enjoyed the post - it's interesting to get the summary of a person's year.

Sfrajett said...

Happy New year! You sure have had a doozy. best wishes for this next one.

Dauphyfan said...

I think you have had a year of tremendous growth and change. There were a lot potholes in the road that gave you pause to consider what was really important to you, and that's always cause to smile. You are a fabulous person in every way, and I am thankful everyday that I get to call you my best friend. Here's to a very happy new year for us all!