BACKGROUND

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Shore to Ship to Shore

We returned from our cruise on Sunday. We were sunburned, exhausted, and thrilled. It was a wonderful time. We left on Sunday, Feb. 17 and returned on the 24th so we had 7 days of vacation and it was truly needed.

We sailed on Royal Caribbean's Voyager of the Seas. The ship was like a city on water. There were several restaurants, pools, a fitness room, shops, two libraries, an ice skating rink...the list goes on and on. We sailed the seas Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. We had amazing food and saw some great shows, but by Wednesday, I was ready to get off the ship for awhile and walk on land.

That day, we docked in Montego Bay, Jamaica. Dear Husband and I spent our honeymoon in Mo Bay (as the locals call it) in July 2005. This time, we traveled two hours by bus to Ocho Rios, where I climbed Dunn's River Falls. It was absolutely amazing. At one point, I stopped and stood with the water gushing over me and just enjoyed the experience, the moment. I had wanted to see the Falls for a long time and finally getting to do just that was worth savoring.

We were back on the ship Wednesday night and Thursday morning found us on Grand Cayman Island. I LOVED IT! I had never been to Grand Cayman and it was beautiful. We started the day with a glass bottom boat tour, followed by a trip to a turtle farm. The turtles were so cute. We got to hold them and learned a lot about them.

Unfortunately, Dear Husband and I got left behind by our tour bus at the turtle farm. We were in the gift shop picking up some souvenirs. Dear Husband went outside to get on the bus and I told him I'd be right there. When I went out a couple of minutes later, I couldn't find him so I thought he had crossed the street to get on the bus. When I crossed the street, the bus was gone. I got on another tour bus that was still in the lot and then our original bus came back to pick me up.

I thought Dear Husband was at the next stop, which was the Tortuga Rum Shop. Nope, he was nowhere to be found there. So I asked the rest of the group if they had seen him and they said no. I told the tour guide that we had to go back for him. We went back to the Turtle Farm and he came dashing out of the store to much applause from everyone on the bus.

We then made our way to the last stop of the day, which was Hell. Yes, I went to Hell. Now, this should not have been any big deal to me - I'm pretty much destined for it already what with being an attorney. Hell is not as bad as people think. Next time someone tells me to go to Hell, I'll have to say "No need, been there and I got the t-shirt too."

That night, we sailed again docking on Friday in Cozumel. I'd been there before as well, but it never gets old. Dear Husband and I did a lot of shopping (A LOT!) and then headed to one of my favorite places to eat in Cozumel, Ernesto's Fajitas. SO SO SO good.

Saturday was a day at sea and Sunday morning we were back in Galveston, Texas. It was a great trip and I am ready to cruise again. Luckily, my best friend and I will be cruising to Cozumel in June and I can't wait! She's an awesome travel partner so I know we will have the best time. Viva La Cruise Ships!

2 comments:

Dauphyfan said...

The moment of you savoring the falls is priceless. It is exactly the kind of thing you want to look back and say "I did that!" I'll be getting that plane ticket in the next week or so hopefully and we'll be off in June! Aren't you sick of Cozumel yet? J/K

citizen of the world said...

Glad you had a fantastic time except for the getting left behind part. WHat do they do with the turtles from the farm?