BACKGROUND

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Huh?

Tonight, I am going to take some time to wonder/rant about things that I just don't understand. Let's get right to it.

What is with people who feel the need to point out the obvious to you? I have several nasty sores on my right arm because mosquitoes love me. They believe I am running a free blood bank and they partake generously. They itch terribly and then I break the skin open by scratching it and it becomes a sore. I also tend to have a horrible habit of mindlessly picking at the scab. I don't even think about it most of the time, I'm concentrating on something else and I find myself picking at my skin. So yeah, it looks bad.

I can't tell you the number of people who have called my attention to these horrible marks on my skin. Usually, it's in the form of "Wow, you have a lot of scabs on your arm." Really? Well, would you look at that? I had no idea until you so sweetly pointed that out. Thanks for calling my attention to it as well as the attention of everyone within a 10-foot radius and forcing me to explain. Also, thank you for offering all kinds of suggestions about what I can do to deal with it. I had no idea you became a dermatologist since I started talking to you two minutes ago.

Now, let me be clear here. I understand curiosity. I often have it myself when someone has a bandage or a terrible looking wound. But I'm trying to curb asking about it because you just never know what really happened and maybe the person is embarrassed by it.

On a different, and yet just as annoying, note - what is with those people who make everything in the world about them? I have an acquaintance who is horrible about this. You can mention anything to her and she will turn it back toward herself. If you were in a horrible accident and broke a leg and all your ribs, she would tell you about how she stubbed her toe that morning or how she broke her arm as a kid and so on and so on and so on. It's really annoying. Is it so freaking hard to give your attention to another person for two seconds? Must everything come back to you, your experiences, your issues? When someone else tells you something and you find yourself using the words "me" "mine" "I" then stop yourself, slap yourself, and return your attention to the person who really needs it. And just to be clear, that person isn't you!

That concludes my rant for this evening.

3 comments:

quacker mommy said...

Gosh, girl, no one else will listen to me talk about me.

*sneaks out stage left*

littlesunshine said...

Oh... I know the pain of having these kinds of friends. *hug*

Jaime said...

Did I write this entry? Let me check...LOL!!

I hate people that point out the obvious (Annabel always gets comments about her skin). I'm sorry you had to deal with idiots.

And the other part, making things about themselves...not to make it about me but I hate that too! LOL