BACKGROUND

Friday, July 4, 2008

Mending by the Minute

After being unable to sleep for five nights in a row because of the near constant coughing, I finally sought professional help. On my lunch hour on Tuesday, I went to the CVS Drug Store near my work. They have a Minute Clinic there staffed by nurse practitioners (NP). I have a physician, but going to see her would have required taking the whole afternoon off since I would have to drive to her office, wait in the waiting room, and then wait in the exam room. With the Minute Clinic, they saw me right away. It's a great resource for medical issues that don't necessarily require an actual doctor. They also accept insurance, which of course is a great help.

After performing the exam, it was determined that I have an upper respiratory infection. I had been coughing all night and some of the day as well. This was not your ordinary coughing, this was more the type that caused people around me to wonder if I was choking and/or about to keel over and die.

I walked out of the clinic with an antibiotic, an inhaler, cough syrup with codeine, and some topical prescription ointment for my mosquito bite scabs. The NP noticed them on my arm and gave me the ointment. Tuesday night was the first night I was able to sleep. I was up maybe once or twice, but basically I slept. The following nights were much the same. I am feeling SO much better, although I'm extraordinarily tired, which is a side effect of some of the medications as well as something to be expected with having been this ill.

I had thought this was a basic cold/mild flu, but it was much worse than that. When I have a cold, I can generally get relief from Nyquil or some other OTC medicine. This time, they did nothing at all for my symptoms. I'm just incredibly happy to finally be on the mend.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

Ruh-Roh! I'm sorry! I know how it feels to have the funk, I hope you recover quickly. The thing that helped me most are those new Vitamin Waters in Revive.