BACKGROUND

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Wise Guy

I spent the weekend in San Antonio with my dad. I flew there on Saturday and returned on Monday. The plane ticket was cheaper than it would have cost me in gas to drive. I enjoy flying there because the flight only takes about an hour versus the four hours of driving the trip would entail.

My dad met me at the airport and we headed to my favorite San Antonio chow house: Bill Miller's BBQ. That stuff is like crack on a plate. After a great dinner there, we went over to At&T Stadium to watch a Silver Stars game. The Silver Stars are San Antonio's WNBA team. It was an amazing game. I'm not even a big fan of basketball, but I had a fantastic time. My dad and I had nearly court-side seats. We were about two rows back from the court so we saw all the action up close. It was fun to scream for our team.

We headed back to my dad's house after that where we talked and hung out. My dad is so very wise. The entire weekend was full of great advice about anything and everything. The amazing thing about my dad is that his advice is not given in answer to any question in particular. It's just part of what he says. When we are talking about any particular topic, pearls of wisdom just keep coming. He doesn't have to try, but he says things that are so profound and helpful. He will be 64 in September so he has a lot to draw on from what has been a very full life.

One of the many things I like about my dad's house is how much it feels like home. I didn't grow up there, he bought the place in 2004 when he retired from driving, but I have my own room there and he leaves everything just as I left it the last time I was there. It's just so comfortable and comforting. I love it.

Sunday found dad and me at an afternoon showing of Kit Kittredge. It was an absolutely adorable movie and worth seeing. Afterwards, we went to Texas Land and Cattle where I had a great steak. I was very full and ready for a good night's sleep after that.

It was a wonderful weekend. I didn't grow up with my dad in my everyday life. My parents divorced when I was 4 and he was a career Army man. That meant he was stationed in Germany for a good portion of my childhood. When I went to college in 1994, he had retired from the Army and become a cross-country truck driver. He visited me fairly often in college. It was in 2002 that we really became close. I moved to Houston and he was in San Antonio. Although he was still driving for several weeks at a time, he was able to come back to his Texas home base so we spent a lot of time together.

It has truly been wonderful to have both a father and a friend in my dad. I love you dad!

No comments: