BACKGROUND

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Work and Some Other Stuff

It's been a busy week at work. We are getting ready to move out of our current offices and into new digs tomorrow. This week was all about packing up our desks while still getting work done. There was a big project meeting today that I had to prepare some documents for. I worked feverishly for the last two days on those.

I'm excited about our office move. I get my own office in the new place. In our current offices, we are doubled up and in some cases, tripled up. I share my current office with two other people. Even the president/owner of the company shares her office with someone. There is no other choice since we've long outgrown our current building. I'm excited about the new place. It will be nice to have my own space. I think I will be even more productive when I am by myself.

I really, really love my job. For the first time in my life, everything about my work environment is wonderful. My boss is great, my co-workers are great, my salary is really great - I recently got a substantial raise. It's nice to actually want to go to work in the morning.

Now to the Other Stuff from my blog title. I read a news story today that is so disturbing, I don't even know what to say other than "My God." WARNING - this is graphic:

The link to the story is here: Disturbing News Story. The story is about a man who was stabbed repeatedly and then beheaded on a Greyhound bus traveling in Canada. It was an apparent random act of violence by a mentally disturbed man. I read in another news story that the victim was between 18 and 20 years old. The murderer stabbed him and beheaded him. The rest of the passengers got off the bus while this was going on and then one of the passengers rounded up several others to go back in and see if they could stop the crime. It was too late by then. Frankly, it was probably too late by the time they all filed off the bus.

According to witnesses, the killer actually paraded around the bus with the head in his hand, showing it to passengers who were outside and had blocked him inside the bus. I am just appalled and terribly saddened for those who witnessed this, but especially for the family of the victim. I cannot even imagine the pain of finding out something like this happened to your loved one.

My prayers are with all of those involved in this.

1 comment:

Dauphyfan said...

What is especially awful is that no one intervened in time to save the poor man. I get that they were likely scared for their own lives...but he was one man vs. the rest of the bus. It conjures up images of those aboard Flight 93 that crashed in Pennsylvania. They were truly brave to do what they did.

On another note, congrats on getting your own space! I remember the one time I had my own office and it was so nice. Cool for you! =)