BACKGROUND

Friday, September 12, 2008

It was a dark and stormy night...

The wind has started to pick up here, which isn't unusual when a hurricane is nearby. We live about 30 miles north of Houston proper and we haven't been asked to evacuate. We usually get winds, rain, and some flooding in our area when hurricanes visit. We may lose electricity as well, although I am hoping that doesn't happen for obvious reasons.

Neither Dear Husband nor I are really worried about this. We've done what we can in terms of preparing. We have plenty of water and food that doesn't require cooking. We also filled up our guest bathroom tub with water in case it's needed.

It looks bad when the Weather Channel and the news is reporting it. People mistakenly assume that Houston is a single place, but it really isn't. When they say a hurricane is hitting Houston, it doesn't mean that everyone who lives there is going to be directly hit. Houston encompasses an area of 600 square miles. Galveston and the surrounding areas generally have the most damage from the hurricanes.

This is not always true of course. In 2001, Tropical Storm Allison damaged a great deal of Houston proper, so to speak. My law school library was filled with eight feet of water. 174,000 volumes and microfiche were lost. The university was given $21.4 million to rectify the damage. I wasn't a student there at the time. I started the next year. The ground floor of the Law Center always did have a weird smell to it though, which I attributed to the flood waters.

I will keep in touch with everyone through this blog and e-mail. I have to go now...I need to put the finishing touches on my Ark.

No comments: