BACKGROUND

Thursday, October 23, 2008

10 Things

I'm considering joining an underworld group, committing a crime, and then turning on my criminal compatriots just so I can join the Witness Protection Program and go into hiding. In the past couple of weeks, I've really wanted to go into hiding, but I couldn't think of a way to do it that would not cost me a lot of money I don't have. So, the criminal route it is.

Ok, so I won't really do that, but here's the thing - I need a break. A break from people who suck up my emotional energy, a break from people who don't know how to listen, a break from people who can't get a grip on their life. You know, the basic annoyances of living within the human race.

I have a co-worker who I like a lot, but she is so oblivious to the basic rules of listening. I've seen her with other colleagues and she talks while they are talking, she interrupts them, tries to finish their sentences, and never really listens.
This is something I see in a lot of people. They simply cannot restrain themselves from talking. I just want to grab them and tell them to shut up and LISTEN! This colleague doesn't seem to realize that if she's talking while another person is talking, neither she nor the other person is going to be heard. So then what is the point?

And the people who can't get a grip on their life? Yeah, those people are really driving me crazy. There is one in particular who spends way too much time on the theory of life, but never lives it. There is much discussion about faith and courage, but actually taking the plunge and living those things seems to be a difficulty.

This brings me to perhaps the most important thing in this blog posting: LIVE. YOUR. LIFE. Stop and enjoy the things you love. Make a list of 10 things you enjoy and then plant those things in your life more often. Sure, it can be hard to do with work, school, kids, husbands, houses, and on and on. There's always a reason not to do something. Find a reason TO do something.

Here are 10 things I enjoy. What are yours?

1. Cuddling up with my dog Peanut and taking a long nap.

2. Working out hard and then taking a refreshing shower.

3. Reading a good book for hours without interruption.

4. Lighting a candle and relaxing on the couch.

5. Surfing the Internet.

6. Leisurely browsing through Half Price Books or any bookstore.

7. Seeing a great comedy film and laughing hard.

8. Having dinner with a group of friends and talking about anything and everything.

9. Watching my dogs at the dog park.

10. Long bubble baths.

1 comment:

Dauphyfan said...

You are soooooooooo right. It is so easy to let life take over and then you forget to just live it the way you want. I think we often lose sight of our real priorities in favor of work, bills, and the everyday mundane stuff.