BACKGROUND

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Home is where the heart is...and the Internet too!

I was out of town from Friday until Monday. I called Dear Husband on Friday after arriving in San Antonio and he told me that our cable and our Internet service had been restored at home!! This is most excellent news as I was getting tired of Starbucks. The T-Mobile Hot Spot had been good to me, but the relationship had run its course and it had to end.

And continuing on the happy Internet/computer theme, I got a brand spanking new laptop!! I am SO excited. It's my dad's early Christmas present to me. It's a Dell Inspiron 1525 and I love it already. Since I got a new laptop, I needed new software too. My dad was going to throw in Microsoft Office 2007 as part of the whole laptop gift and he got online to find it. He found a price of $150 for the student edition. I told him I bet I can find a better deal. I logged on to microsoft.com and found that they were offering MS Office 2007 Ultimate to students at a steep discount. Microsoft lists it as retailing at $679.95. I got it for...drum roll please...$59.99!! Yes, you read that right. Microsoft offered it to students for a HUGE discount. I downloaded it, and it's working great.

I can't complete this whole new laptop thing without paying tribute to my old laptop. It was purchased in 2002 when I started law school. I took my law exams on it and even took the bar exam on it. It has been a trusty friend and companion all these years. The operating system on it is Windows 2000, I've replaced the keyboard twice, the power cord once, and the battery is shot. Still, it works and is in good shape but for the battery so I am sending it to my mom since she isn't in need of the latest and greatest technology. It will work for her. I'm glad to be sending it to a good home. I know it sounds silly, but it really has been a good laptop and I will miss it.


Once again going forward with the happy theme, I am SO looking forward to Friday night! I got two tickets to the Tour of Gymnastics Superstars! Several of the Olympians, including Shawn Johnson and Nastia Liukin will be in the show as well as Shannon Miller. I had my picture taken with Shannon and got her autograph last January when she was here in Houston for a gym opening. I really want to get autographs and pictures with Shawn and Nastia. Keep your fingers crossed that I can do that. I bought the tickets almost as soon as they went on sale, so I have great upfront seats. I CAN'T WAIT!!

2 comments:

Dauphyfan said...

You've had a great week all around! Glad to hear you are back in cyberspace from your home planet. Even cooler that you'll get to see the gymnastics tour. Can I say I'm jealous?

Jessatsea said...

enjoy the tour of gymnastics! I am jealous! :)