BACKGROUND

Friday, October 17, 2008

Laughing It Up!

I am a tragic laugher. My mom and I have always dealt with the hardships of life by laughing. Our senses of humor are very similar. I truly believe laughter is the best medicine.

The thing is, some people find that medicine hard to swallow sometimes. Some people never see the humor in things or they think it's tacky when others do. But hey, I can't help thinking some things are just so weird that they are funny. For example, I heard a story today about this law firm in Dalton, Georgia that was bombed by an elderly man for an as yet unknown reason. The apparent bomber was killed in the attack and four others were injured. Now, I don't think that's funny at all, of course. However, this firm specializes in personal injury and wrongful death!! Come on now, I just couldn't supress the ironic laughter on that one.

Continuing on the "ironic, funny things in the law" theme, as an attorney I get a lot of advertisements for CLE (Continuing Legal Education) courses. I'm required to complete a certain number of CLE hours a year. I usually get the flyers aimed toward family law/divorce practice. One of the divorce law presenters at a lot of these CLE seminars is named Jim Loveless. Ok, really?? Either don't go into divorce law or change your name Jim because that is just too funny.
In my view, it's better to laugh than to fall into a depression. Humor is everywhere, even in the most tragic of events. If it helps you to cope, I say laugh it up!

1 comment:

Kate said...

The Loveless one is my favorite. That is priceless. I would change my name.