BACKGROUND

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Show Stoppers!

Last night was FANTASTIC! The Tour of Gymnastics Superstars was so much fun. We had floor seats and they were worth every penny. The gymnasts were treated like rock stars almost. There was a 20-minute intermission at one point and the gymnasts used the time to do some warm-ups and practice for their upcoming routines for the second half of the show. Jonathan Horton who won the silver medal in high bar and the bronze as part of the U.S. Men's Team medal in Beijing, was the only one who would sign my show program. I asked some of the other guys who walked past me after the intermission warm-up, but they said "Sorry, we aren't supposed to sign autographs during the performance."

So thanks Jonathan for being a nice guy and breaking the rules to give an autograph to a HUGE gymnastics fan!

It was so interesting to see the reaction of those in the floor seats. After Jonathan signed my autograph, he walked toward the back stage exit to get ready for the next part of the show, and he was swarmed by fans. Literally swarmed!
They were screaming and touching him. He hugged a couple of the girls and they went back to their seats jumping up and down saying "Oh my God, he touched me, he touched me!!" It was too funny to see in some ways. I'm a big fan, but I'm too old to get freaked out like that. Still, it was nice to be with people who really enjoy the sport as much as I do.

Thanks to the Internet, some of what we saw last night is already on YouTube. This is one of my favorite routines from last night's performance: Nastia Liukin performing on floor to Ava Maria. Her performances are always elegant and beautiful.

Shawn Johnson is also a favorite of mine. This is her floor routine to American Woman. I have to admit that this is a little more "sexed up" than I expected to see, but it's still some great gymnastics.

This is the second gymnastics tour I've had the opportunity to see. The first was many, many years ago, in 1996 I believe it was. At that time, I was living in Eugene, Oregon, and I had to drive a couple of hours to Portland. Now, living in Houston, it's about a 35-minute drive downtown. That is one of the many positives to living in a large city. I can easily attend the events and performances I really want to see.

Tickets to Tour of Gymnastics Superstars: $160
Parking at Tour of Gymnastics Superstars: $10
Program for Tour of Gymnastics Superstars: $18
Bag and T-shirt from Tour of Gymnastics Superstars: $43
Seeing your gymnastics idols up close and personal: PRICELESS.

1 comment:

Dauphyfan said...

What fun! That was very cool of Jonathan to sign your program! They seem so big on TV and then your realize just how teensy they are IRL, but so very talented.