BACKGROUND

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Mental Health: $55.

I am not a Black Friday shopper. I'm not a morning person on the best of days, so getting up at 4 a.m. or earlier to go shopping just doesn't work for me. Also, I decided this year to get most of my Christmas shopping done in early/mid-November, so I don't have much to shop for anyway.

However, I ventured out this evening for a little retail therapy for myself after a stressful day. I was at the hospital at 10 this morning waiting for my mom to have the endoscopy/colonoscopy that was supposed to give us the answers to her internal bleeding. The scan she had ruled out the Meckel's Diverticulum, but didn't provide any answers as to what it might be.
They took her for today's procedures at 11 a.m. so I went to the Starbucks down the road to do some research for my term paper. I returned around 1:30 and she wasn't done yet so I wandered the halls of the hospital for a few minutes before going back to her room. She was there, just out of surgery.

The doctor came in and told us these procedures hadn't revealed the source of the bleeding. My mother has been poked and prodded in every possible place on the body and we still don't know what's wrong. Tomorrow, they will do a bowel series. We are praying that will give us the answer so we can move forward to getting my mom healed. She's been in the hospital for 8 days now and it's starting to wear on her. I don't blame her.

I hung out with her for awhile at the hospital and then she had to sleep so I headed home. I was really tired and just needed a nap desperately. I took a nap for a couple of hours and then decided to treat myself to dinner. I ate at my favorite Mexican restaurant here in my hometown and then headed over to Fred Meyer's for my retail therapy. I bought a belt, some new shoes, and a cute University of Oregon bag. I don't normally spend money like that, but today it really did help my emotional state to do so. $55 for my mental health was well worth it.

I headed back to the hotel and worked on my term paper. It's after 11 p.m. now and I'm going to take a nice hot bubble bath and go to bed. Tomorrow, I will go to the hospital, finish my term paper, and hopefully have my mental health restored for free by getting an answer from the doctor to my mom's health problem.

3 comments:

Dauphyfan said...

That is so frustrating for you both not to have any answers as to what's going with your mom's condition. What will you do come Monday? Are you going back home or sticking around longer? Wish I could make the trip down to be a shoulder in person for ya, but I suppose chips 'n salsa and some shopping can be a happy medium.

Kate said...

I hope they give you some answers that will help your mom today. Sounds like you did some really healthy things for yourself yesterday. Good for you! You're in my prayers.

Jaime said...

Ugg, I'm so sorry. I hope they can give you more definitive answers soon. And I will never do black Friday shopping again - once was enough. I'd rather pay the extra 20 bucks and shop in peace!