BACKGROUND

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankful

It's been a very long week. I arrived here on Saturday and spent the night in my mother's hospital room with her. Sunday, I stayed at her place so I could take my nephew to school in the morning. My mother has custody of him so with her being in the hospital, I'm responsible for him. He's 15 so it helps that he's able to do a lot for himself.

My mother is hanging in there, but it has been hard on her. She's been in the hospital for almost a week now. Tuesday, she had an EGD done to determine the source of the bleeding. The doctors were fairly sure the bleeding was coming from the stomach or upper GI. An EGD involves feeding a tube with a camera into the stomach to look around and see what might be causing a problem.
It was determined that it was Gastritis, an inflammation of the stomach lining. It had been caused by an arthritis medication my mom was on. That, along with the Coumadin she is on to prevent blood clots, caused the bleeding. Or so we thought...

My mother continued to bleed and after transfusing 18 pints of blood (as of today), they've decided that the gastritis is not the issue. They now believe it may be Meckel's diverticulum. Tomorrow, they will be taking her to a hospital about two hours away from where she is now for a scan to see if it's Meckel's. The scan will also show other areas of bleeding if they are present. Her current hospital has the equipment to do the scan, but not the technician. He is on vacation. I don't know why they only have the one technician, but there it is. My mother will have the scan done tomorrow and we will know by the afternoon what the problem is.

If it's Meckel's, surgery will be performed to correct the problem. If it's not Meckel's, they will be able to see the bleeding area on the scan and will take care of that problem. I've spent every day at the hospital and I've been exhausted. My cousin, who lives near my mom, cooked Thanksgiving dinner today so my nephew and I were able to celebrate the holiday. I have a lot to be thankful for today. My mother is strong and is coming through all of this...with God's help.

Please keep the prayers and good thoughts coming. They are working.

1 comment:

Kate said...

I am praying for your mom. And for continued strength and peace for you. ((hugs))