BACKGROUND

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Coming Home

I arrived in Houston on Sunday night after spending 15 days in Oregon. It was a very difficult 15 days consisting of visiting my mother in the hospital, living out of a suitcase, completing my homework/term paper late at night, and getting no sleep. I also spent about 4 10-hour days cleaning my mother's house so she could recuperate in a safe environment. Her house was filled with clutter and hadn't been cleaned well in quite awhile because she had been too ill over the past few months to get to it.

I am grateful for my cousin, C, who helped me out with everything. She's a true gem and it's nice that we've become friends as grown-ups. She is 8 years older than I am and we weren't close as kids because of the age gap and because we didn't live near my aunt and cousins. We really bonded the last couple of weeks. That was a silver lining to the difficult situation.

My mother is doing a lot better. She was released from the hospital after 12 days. The bleeding stopped, which is a good thing, but the cause of it has not yet been identified. We may never know what caused it. The best that can be done sometimes is pinpointing the general area and running tests to see if anything is amiss. That was done with my mother, but nothing was found. However, there are some things that general tests cannot see, so my mother will go to another hospital two hours away from our hometown to have a camera pill test. She will swallow a pill containing a camera and it will take pictures as it goes through the digestive track. That will allow doctors to see things conventional tests cannot see. The appointment for the camera pill hasn't been made yet, but it should be done within the next week or so.

I went back to work today for the first time since arriving home. I love my job for a lot of reasons, but one of the big ones is that I can take this kind of time off to care for my family without it being an issue. My boss is fantastic. She is also the owner of the company and the flexibility she allows us all is one of the many perks of the job.

I am still trying to catch up on sleep, while also completing the last of my school assignments for this term. While I was in Oregon, I wrote a 25-page term paper, which was not easy by any means, but I felt great after I completed it. This week, I've already taken two exams (one yesterday, one today) and have my last one tomorrow. I am looking forward to a little rest and relaxation (OK, A LOT of R&R) once school is done tomorrow.

Keeping with the theme of positive things to come from this ordeal: when I got home late Sunday night from the airport, I found the entire house clean. Dear Husband had done it so I could come home to a clean place. He also did the following things while I was gone:

1. Installed new faucet in the kitchen, which is SO much better than our old one.

2. Caulked the master bathtub.

3. Put new weather stripping on the back door.

I'm considering leaving for extended periods of time more often.:)

2 comments:

Dauphyfan said...

Glad you are home and able to relax! That was sweet of him to clean the house for you. Sometimes it's the little things that mean the most, eh?

Jaime said...

Glad you made it back, the pill cam looks pretty nifty!