BACKGROUND

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Exhaustion

When I would hear of celebrities being hospitalized for exhaustion, I used to think it was a cover for some other illness or drug addiction. However, I know now that exhaustion is real and I am suffering from it.

So many people seem to think that exhaustion is just being tired and if you get some sleep, you'll be fine. It is so much more than that. It's more a feeling of physical AND mental fatigue from being constantly on the go. It's a physical and mental fog. Since November 22, my life has been in constant motion. I flew out to Oregon unexpectedly that day and ended up staying two weeks while my mother was hospitalized. I was worried about my mother, completing schoolwork, and generally on the go. Two days after my return to Houston, I went back to work, took final exams for my classes, and then headed right into the Christmas season, which is stressful in many ways by itself.

It is only now that I am finally getting to catch my breath and that is only for a short time because on January 24, I will start driving to Victoria again for my classes. I will do that every Saturday for the entire semester. It's a three-hour drive one way.

Right now, I need to just be home and sleeping as much as I can. I am working, of course, but I think about making drives to places and doing things and it's just too much right now. If I can get a couple of weeks of solid peace, quiet, and rest, I'll be OK. I don't think my health insurance will pay for me to spend a couple of weeks in the hospital with exhaustion so I'm going to spend it at home reading magazines and watching recorded Oprah. If you need me, I'll be on the couch.

2 comments:

Dauphyfan said...

I hear ya. That fog makes even the simplest tasks very taxing. In many ways the holidays can be a welcome respite from the everyday drudgery of work and stress, but it also adds another layer of stuff to deal with. Now that the new year is upon us, take this time to just be one with the couch for a bit...=)

Saunar Buboy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.