BACKGROUND

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

33rd

Today, I turned 33. In many ways, I feel as young as I did when I was a teenager. In other ways, I feel older and wiser. And that's a good thing. It's amazing what you learn with each passing year of life. There is no amount of money in this world that would entice me to be a teenager again. I am much more myself in my 30s than I ever was in my teens. But then, isn't that the way of life? Hopefully, we learn more as we grow. Some people do not. And that is a very sad thing indeed.

What I have learned so far is that life is about helping each other. When someone upsets you or hurts you, try and understand where they are coming from. If necessary, let them go lovingly and with care. Pray for them, or if you don't believe in a higher power, put good thoughts out into the universe for them. Never hold on to the anger and the hate. It will eat you up from the inside out. It is better to leave it behind and go forward with positivity. That lets light shine from you instead of darkness.

Remember that every single person you meet, whether you like them or not, is fighting their own battles. No matter what they do to you or say to you, shower them with kindness. It will do more good than you know. They will go away from you with a small bit of positivity that may grow into the light they need in their life. In everything you say and do, choose kindness. It's amazing what a difference it makes when you stop and say a prayer for someone or think a good thought for them instead of cursing them or being angry.

This doesn't mean anyone is perfect. Anger is healthy sometimes. Venting, complaining, and throwing a pity party definitely have a place in life. Quite often, they are the precursor to acceptance and growth. Let them have their place, but don't let them take over. Vent, complain, have the pity party, then clean up the party mess and move forward with light and love.

That is what I have learned in my 32nd year. I look forward to the wisdom 33 will bring.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Happy birthday! I hope that this year will be a good one full of happy times spent with loved ones.

Dauphyfan said...

Oh another year, another chapter of this little book we call life. Here's to the next thrilling plot! Oh yeah, and happy birthday too! =P