BACKGROUND

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Beauty of Consistency

I should be in bed. But I'm not. Instead, I'm writing this blog and playing games on Facebook. I'm also drinking some sweet tea, which is the state beverage in Texas. I'm feeling a little restless tonight in a few different ways. Although it is only Tuesday, this has already been a crazy week. Well, really last week was weird too. In some ways, continuity is a good thing. That is to say that knowing what to expect can be a good thing, but sometimes it's also depressing to realize that some things never change.

I'm not trying to be cryptic. This can apply to so many things in life: work, family, and so on. The interesting thing about it though is that when you know someone or something is going to be a certain (negative) way, there isn't a whole lot of anger or upset. If you're smart, you think to yourself "Ok, I knew it was going to be this way, so it's cool. Been here before and I know I can handle it."

The same is true for positive consistency as well. When you know that something is going to be good, you can look forward to it. You know certain friends will be there for you, you know you'll enjoy travels or hobbies that have previously turned out well. You know who and what you can count on.

Life is full of yin and yang. We cannot have the joy without the sorrow. We cannot have the positive without the negative. And that's a good thing because it's through the negative that we learn the most needed lessons in life. There is great strength in not only knowing how to handle something, but knowing that you can.

2 comments:

Dauphyfan said...

"Life is full of yin and yang." You could make a fortune in bumper stickers on that one, I love it! So true though...look at our life lessons from last summer. I certainly grew a lot from that and am now grateful experiences like that. While surprises and shock are good every now and then, continuity helps the heart keep ticking at steady beat.

Jessatsea said...

there is a song that states... I'll be fine if the weather holds... but if the weather holds, I wouldn't be the same person if I hadn't gone through all the trouble to get here. :)
Yin and yang. Without rainy days we wouldn't appreciate the sun.

Today's sermon at church says that without focus we lose our effectiveness. Here's to focusing on our consistency. :)