BACKGROUND

Monday, March 30, 2009

Left, Right...OUCH!

I have Mondays off so I try to be productive around the house, get homework done, and so on. I succeeded with the productivity around the house thing - I emptied the dishwasher, washed and dried laundry, and actually folded the laundry that had been sitting in the baskets for one (OK, three) days. I did some other little stuff too.

The big productive thing of the day though was going to the gym. I really, really need to get back into a regular gym schedule so I decided to go for it today. I had a great cardio workout on the elliptical. I am so grateful for my iPod. After cardio, I went to stretch and I was reminded of an unfortunate accident that will stay with me forever.

In January 2008, I was babysitting an infant and a 3-year-old. I had put the baby to bed upstairs and turned the lights off. I was coming down the stairs and I missed a step. My right ankle twisted as I landed two steps down and oh my GOD, it was painful. I remember saying SHIT rather loudly or it might have been FUCK. Either way, a not so good four-letter word particularly considering that the 3-year-old was 10 feet away in the living room. Never too early to learn swear words. Too bad Sesame Street doesn't teach that - today's show is sponsored by the letter F...

Anyway, it took several months for me to be able to walk on it without severe pain. We went on the family cruise in February 2008 and I climbed Dunns River Falls in Jamaica. It was not quite a month after the injury and I felt every single step. It was worth it, but it really made me realize that I have a high tolerance for pain. Or I'm stupid. That's a real possibility.

I talked to my doctor about it and she said since I had range of motion, it wasn't broken, but the pain would probably always be there. She said it's likely arthritis. Well, nothing makes you feel old like being told you have arthritis. Maybe I should get out of law and get into meterology because I hear people with arthritis can predict the weather pretty well.

So I'll keep working out and I'll keep stretching even though the ankle screams when I do so. It's ironic that achieving good health comes with so much pain.

4 comments:

citizen of the world said...

I'm not sure how you dropped off my rader/reader, but glad you stopped in.

The ankle injury sounds really painful. I'm sure hearing that you'll always have pain in it was distressing. Hope the regular exercise helps.

Jessatsea said...

I'm sorry your ankle hurts... and go you for the exercise. I had to LOL at your expletive though when you slid down that step. So uncharacteristic. :-D

Dauphyfan said...

No pain no gain, eh? Nah, really I'm sorry you are hurting. Woohoo for getting to the gym. You should give the rowing machine a try, it works all the muscles, but might save your ankle some wear and tear. Love ya!

Jaime said...

Ouch!!! I hope you feel better soon. And props to you for hitting the gym, I seriously need to follow your inspiration!