BACKGROUND

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Cowboys and Cars

It's been awhile since I've blogged. I've been a bit distracted by car troubles and a long weekend. The latter was fantastic, the former not so much. Over Halloween weekend, I was in San Antonio having a wonderful time with my Dad. I drove up Thursday afternoon and we had a nice dinner at his house and watched some TV. Friday, he took my car to be tuned up at a local mechanic's shop and that evening, we headed out to Golden Corral for dinner and then the Majestic Theatre, where we saw Three Phantoms in Concert.

It was an amazing show! I loved it. Three men, all of whom have played the role of Phantom of the Opera on Broadway, sung a variety of songs from Broadway musicals. They were accompanied by the San Antonio Symphony. It was beautiful music in every way.

Saturday found us sleeping in then getting some dinner from WhataBurger. It was an early night for us because Sunday morning at 5 a.m. we were up and getting ready to head to the airport. We took a flight that morning to Dallas where we saw a Cowboys game up close and personal in the brand new Cowboys stadium. We had the BEST time cheering on our team. Dad and I have matching Cowboys jerseys with our birth year on it and our names on the back. We wore those of course and screamed for our team as they beat the Seattle Seahawks. GO COWBOYS!! We returned that night to San Antonio on the plane. I had to go home to Houston on Monday, which I didn't really want to do. I'd had such a great weekend with Dad and I didn't want it to end. The only positive is that I can look forward to our next get-together now.

After returning to Houston, my car decided to get temperamental on me. My car is 10 years old and has been very well taken care of. In August, I had to have the transmission fixed and then in early October, I had an oxygen sensor replaced. The tune up revealed an Idle Air Control issue so that was taken care of. Then...

Last Monday, I was taking a friend home from work around 9 p.m. and we stopped at a restaurant for her to get something to eat. We came out and my car wouldn't start. At all. It wouldn't even turn over and the Service Engine Soon light was on. Sigh. So my friend has Triple A and she called them to send out a tow truck. The tow truck driver was very nice and he actually got the car to start. He said it seemed to be an issue with the parking brake having been pulled up too high.

I drove my friend home and then returned home myself. The next day, I went to get in the car to pick up my friend for work and you guessed it - it wouldn't start or turn over. Same problem. So I had it towed to a Ford dealership where they found the problem - the Battery Ground Connection wasn't doing its job. It was an easy fix and not too expensive (THANK GOD) so I rescued my car from the dealership and it's driving just fine. However, the Service Engine Soon light is back on and Dear Husband has determined it is the Idle Air Control code that is showing.

This is the same problem that the tune up guys fixed by putting in a new hose and cleaning the IAC valve. Sigh again. Dear Husband cleared the car's computer for me and that should take care of that light. Since the car was recently checked by more than one mechanic, we suspect the Service Engine Light was showing because the computer needed to be cleared. Here's hoping.

P.S. - I just searched the Internet for a picture for the blog and found a site where people were talking about this very problem with their cars. Got a suggestion there that might work - a new gas cap. I'll let you know if it works.

2 comments:

Dauphyfan said...

How completely frustrating! You have this fabulous weekend with your Dad, only to be met with chronic car troubles. I hope the autofairy sprinkles some magic dust on your engine to get it back on track.

kbarsch said...

The 3 Phantoms show sounds AWESOME!! Sooo something I would love.
p.s. DH says to tell you he's jealous about your trip to the new cowboy stadium (=