BACKGROUND

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Beyond Thankful

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving! The hubs and I traveled to San Antonio to spend the holiday with my father and his side of the family. We left Houston on Tuesday night and spent Wednesday hanging out at my dad's house, catching up on sleep, watching TV and just generally relaxing. We also had some fantastic Chinese food at The Fortune Cookie. I worked on a difficult paper for school so that took up some of the evening for me.

Thanksgiving morning found us traveling to the home of my dad's cousin, BG, for the feast. I saw some people I hadn't seen for awhile and I met some new people too. There were four very special guests at the meal that I spent a great deal of time with. Four of the Air Force recruits going through basic training at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio joined us. The base has a program called Operation Homecooking where they match Air Force recruits with local families for holidays so the recruits aren't alone on the holiday. All four of the recruits I met were lovely young women who were so mature and so friendly.

My brother, Kelly, has spent 19 years in the Air Force and he started his career in basic training at Lackland Air Force Base so having those four recruits there was like having a proxy for my brother. Kelly is stationed in Japan right now and has been there for almost four years so we haven't seen him for holidays in quite awhile. It will be nice to have him back in the states next year.

After Thanksgiving, we headed back to my dad's house for much needed rest and relaxation. We watched a movie and I continued to work on my paper. We had planned to leave Friday afternoon. My dad and the hubs went to the shooting range on Friday morning and I ended up sleeping for quite awhile after they left. I really needed that long nap. When they returned, we decided to stay one more night and leave on Saturday. We made it home around 7 on Saturday evening and the hubs went out with his cousin, who was in town. I stayed home to work some more on my paper. Sunday found us at the in-laws house to have dinner and visit with the hubs's aunt and uncle who were here from Maryland.

It was a holiday of traveling, eating, talking, laughing, and having a wonderful time with wonderful people - nothing could be better.

Today, we are celebrating again, but this time it's a birthday. Our precious Peanut turns 3 today. Peanut has been the love and joy of our lives ever since we got her at 8 weeks old. She brings such life and happiness to our home and her birthday is always cause for celebration. She and her brothers, Chip and Norman, will be getting Milk Bones covered in peanut butter as a special birthday treat. HAPPY BIRTHDAY PEANUT!

2 comments:

Dauphyfan said...

Happy Birthday to Peanut!

AmbitiousB said...

Happy belated birthday Peanut!