BACKGROUND

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Peace in the Middle of the Busy

Life has been busy lately. I guess it's always busy in varying degrees. I turned 34 on February 4th. It's hard for me to believe sometimes that I'm approaching my mid-30s. I don't have issues with aging like some other women do, it's just amazing to think that time is passing so quickly. It's been 15 years since I graduated high school, 11 years since I graduated college, and five years since I graduated law school. Time is flying by. I feel good about what I've accomplished in my life this far and there are so many other things I want to do. The future is looking bright!

One of those future goals is to become a practicing therapist. To that end, every Tuesday afternoon I drive to Victoria, Texas, which is 300 miles round-trip. It's a long haul because I make the drive in one day. I drive there, sit through class for 2 hours 45 minutes and then drive home. I usually make it home around 11:30 at night. Books on CD help a lot. I finished listening to The Lovely Bones last night. It was an incredible book and very life affirming. The book contained many lessons - how to move on after a tragic event, how to keep living while you're moving on, and how to honor the past, but look to the future. A beautiful story with so much meaning. I need to find a new book to listen to for next Tuesday.

I am very close to finishing school. I am taking Techniques of Therapy right now and am filling out the paperwork so I can start my practicum (field work) this summer. It's exciting to be doing something I love so much and that brings together everything I've done before.

Other than school and being excited about meeting some of my goals, I am getting things done at home too. My to-do list is always long, but today I started crossing things off it. It feels good to be able to do that. Some of it is simply housework, while other things take more thought and time. Still, I am getting them done.

On another note, thank you to everyone who has commented on the photos I've been posting. These are pictures I randomly find on the Internet while searching for other things or just looking at photos in general. I love pictures that bring instant calm to me and I post those in hopes that they will also bring peace and calm to my blog friends.

3 comments:

AmbitiousB said...

Happy belated birthday Shelley. Hope you enjoyed it!

J.A. Saare said...

Happy birthday, Shelley!!!! ;-)

I don't know how you do it, making the trip and working so hard. You inspire me.

Dauphyfan said...

You deserve every good thing. Sending you lots of love, peace, and calm. Hugs!