BACKGROUND

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Full plate. Really, it's more like a buffet.

I thought I would have some downtime after I finished winter term on May 4th. Not so. Summer term starts June 1 and I had hoped to be able to catch up on sleep and get some things done before starting what will be a grueling eight weeks this summer. I will be driving to Victoria twice a week - Mondays and Wednesdays.

I will also be babysitting the two sets of twins every Wednesday this summer from 9 a.m. - 2 p.m. and then I will drive the 2.5 hours to school, attend class from 6 - 8:45 p.m. then drive the 2.5 hours home. Wednesdays will be rough, but it's a sacrifice worth making to complete this degree.

Still, it will be hard so I had hoped that the break would be quiet, but things keep popping up to do, places to go, people to see. I babysat the twins a couple of times in the past two weeks, had a job interview, babysat a friend's 2-year-old little girl all day, scheduled and took a drug test for the hospital where I will be doing my summer field work, and attended a relative's birthday party. This coming week, I will be attending a meeting at UH, helping a friend with her resume, seeing a friend for dinner, and attending a book club meeting. 

Although there is a lot on my plate, I am grateful for it all. I feel blessed to have friends to visit, to have the opportunity to do my field work this summer, to help mothers with their children by giving them the peace of mind that comes with knowing their children are safe and taken care of. 

That said, the week following this one is empty at the moment. I hope it stays that way.

3 comments:

Dauphyfan said...

It is a crazy life, but a blessed one to be sure. I hear ya with the endless to do list. Just when you think you've checked off the last thing, ten more pop up to keep you on your toes. I am in the home stretch of the school year with summer beckoning on the horizon, however there is soooooooooo much to do between now and then. It's challenging to stop and enjoy the quieter moments and take it all in. Just think, you are so close to the finish line. Enjoy this time before life becomes routine again. Remember to breathe, tick one thing off at a time, celebrate that little achievement, and move on to the next thing. Love ya!

Amie said...

I'm so impressed. The only possible conclusion is that you are the Master of the Universe, since nobody else could do so much. Good luck! (but still blog sometimes please I miss you thanks)

secret agent woman said...

Those free weekends can be so necessary.