BACKGROUND

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Kicking the bucket? Not now, maybe later.

So last month nearly killed me and although there have been times that grad school has made me pray for death, it would be terribly inconvenient to kick the bucket right now. Given that, I had to get a plan to make things easier or at least more manageable than they had been before.

I started by looking at the things I absolutely have to do - attend class, babysit, and get my practicum hours. I got out a July calendar and decided that I need to cut down on the hours I am working at the psychiatric hospital (my practicum hours) so I can fit everything else in without going on a major killing spree and possibly ending up in the hospital myself. I decided to work three days a week at the hospital for a total of 15 hours a week. 

I am not working on Mondays because I have to drive to class that day so I am giving myself a break instead of working at the hospital from 9 - 2 and then driving to class right after that, getting home at midnight and getting up the next day to go into the hospital again at 8:30. Now, I am working 12-4 on Tuesdays/Thursdays (the day after my long drives to class) and then 9 - 5 on Fridays. I may adjust that slightly to working 12-5 and 9-2 or something like that, but basically that will be the schedule.

This allows me to not have to be so tired that I once again try to perfect sleeping one eye at a time so that I can close one eye and still do things with the other. That has never worked, but I continue to have hope because it would be handy to be able to rest one eye at a time. Anyway...

In the name of stress relief, I have also decided to get my second paper for my practicum class finished in advance. I will be doing that over the next three weeks so that when it is due in August, I will have it ready to go without scrambling to finish it as I had to do with the first paper this week. On Wednesdays, I will be babysitting from 9 - 2 p.m. and I can use some of that time to get my paid work done. While the kids are perfecting their Mario Kart skills or making pipe bombs in the garage or whatever it is that they do, I can be doing the technical writing work that I need to complete. 

OK folks...we have a plan. I'll let you know if it works out. If it doesn't, please come visit me in the psych ward. And bring some Peanut M&Ms. I love those.

4 comments:

BETHANY said...

Let me know if you ever figure out how to rest one eye at a time. I could use that skill!

Dauphyfan said...

I think this new schedule may save you some stress and give you the rest you desperately need. I like that you left weekends for sleep and solace.:)

♥mily said...

http://justmycrazyboringlife.blogspot.com/

Milady said...

Melanie here! I enjoyed this piece, please email me--I have a question about your blog. MelanieLBowen[at]gmail[dot]com