BACKGROUND

Friday, August 13, 2010

Heartsick

Last Saturday, Aug. 7, I awoke to find six missed calls on my cell phone from my Dad. He lives in San Antonio, which is about four hours from me. He never calls me that many times in one day unless it's really important. He also left two text messages saying he was in the hospital and to call him. Of course, I did so.

The short version of the story is that he thought he'd been having gas pain, but it moved into his chest so his doctor sent him to the hospital to have an angiography. That showed blockages in his heart so on Tuesday, Aug. 24, he will undergo a quadruple heart bypass surgery.
This news was shocking in many ways. My father is overweight, but despite that he has always been healthy. He takes vitamins, he sees his doctor on schedule every year for checkups, he has colonoscopies and other medical tests done as needed according to the schedule his doctor gives him. He is not one of those men who will never see a doctor. He's diligent about his health needs.

He was supposed to have a colonoscopy today (Friday) so I had planned to come up on Wednesday so I'd be here to take him to and from the hospital for that. Because of the impending heart surgery, the colonoscopy was canceled, but I still came up and will stay through Monday when Dad and I will see his cardiologist. I brought Peanut with me, which has been very helpful for both Dad and me. She gives tons of doggy love whenever needed.

I will go back to Houston on Monday. On Saturday, Aug. 21, I have to be in Victoria for a mandatory psychology seminar. I thought I wouldn't have to drive there again, but then I got the e-mail about having to attend that seminar. Le sigh. Anyway, I will go from Victoria to my Dad's house in San Antonio and the surgery will take place the following Tuesday.

I will be staying with him for at least two weeks following the surgery. I am lucky in that I can take this time off from my practicum site and still get the needed hours. There is never a good time for this sort of thing to happen, but if it had to happen, now worked out well for me in terms of being able to be here and take care of my Dad.

I am scared and so is he, but I am reassuring him and my friends are reassuring me so that works out well. All prayers and good thoughts are appreciated. My Dad is not only my parent, but also a best friend, confidante, savior, comforter...I love him so much.

6 comments:

J.A. Saare said...

**HUGS** If you need me, I am here.

BETHANY said...

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. Praying his surgery goes well!

Gazza said...

Sending best wishes your way. I'm it'll all go just fine.

Amie said...

I'm so sorry about your dad. Glad they seem to have caught it early enough, and especially glad that you're able to be there with him.

LegalMist said...

I'm sending good thoughts and wishes your way. I hope your Dad's surgery goes well. Hang in there.

He is lucky to have you there for him, and I'm so glad you are able to do that for your father, friend, confidant.

secret agent woman said...

Sending healing thoughts your Dad's way.