BACKGROUND

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Off Road

I finished my classes this week, which means no more driving to Victoria twice a week! Over the course of the term, which is eight weeks long, I drove 4180 miles just going to school. The cost of gas was, well let's just say more than I might have liked it to be. I started thinking about buying a net and just driving out to the Gulf to collect some oil and make my own. I hear the Gulf has a lot of oil...

I have been pursuing my M.A. in Counseling Psychology since August 2007. In that time, I've had four semesters where I've had to drive to Victoria. It was always just once a week until this last semester, when I was doing it twice a week. The worst part of doing the drive twice a week was how wiped out I'd get. Driving to and from school on Mondays and Wednesdays and going to class would take up about eight hours. I had other things to do on those days as well so it made it very difficult. 

I was lucky that I was able to carpool with a friend so that I drove to her on Mondays (110 miles round-trip) and she drove the rest of the way (190 miles round-trip) and then I would drive the whole way on Wednesdays after picking her up. That helped a lot, but it would still wipe me out to be gone that long and then have to get up the next day and get things done. I would get home at midnight and just be exhausted.   

Now, that is done. I will have to drive to Victoria once this fall to take my comprehensive exam, which must be done on-site. I still have my practicum hours to complete for the summer term and then I will do a practicum in the fall and spring. That will finish the degree. WOO!! Looking forward to that.

2 comments:

Amie said...

I'm so glad this is finally done. You've just sounded beyond busy and I hope you'll be able to rest a bit more now. Sheesh!

Dauphyfan said...

You are doing awesome! Just keep hanging in there. The cost of gas and your sanity is pricey, but you're 3/4 of the way there...