BACKGROUND

Friday, December 31, 2010

Take it easy on yourself

So here we are at the end of another year. Usually around this time every year, I am thinking about my goals for the coming year and mapping them out. This year though, I just don't care. Well, I care, but not in the same way I used to. I believe this is called personal growth. 

Every New Year's Eve, people make resolutions that they are not likely to stick to and then when they find that they have not stuck to them (usually somewhere around January 2nd), they get all depressed and fall into a cycle of internal anger, which is soothed by a cookie and there goes the weight loss goals, which begins a downward spiral into not exercising, which brings about more self-loathing, which is soothed by some alcohol...yeah, you can see where this is going.


People...TAKE IT EASY ON YOURSELF! It's not a bad thing to have goals and it's not a bad thing to map them out. It is bad to think this particular day of the year is the only time you can do so and that if you fall down on some of the goals, you have to be upset and let go of the goals until the next New Year's Eve. Do not put a huge amount of importance on this one day. Work steadily EVERY SINGLE DAY throughout the year to make progress toward what you want to do and if you fall down once or twice, get back up and keep on going.


We all put too much emphasis on particular days such as New Year's Eve and in the end, that can be harmful to our plans. Make your list of resolutions, but recognize that they are an all-year project and that it's OK if you "fail" on some of those days because you have 365 of them to work with. As long as you're doing well on the majority of the days, you're good. Remember that and take it easy on yourself. Your success is not defined by one day, it is defined by what you do every single day and whether that adds up to achievement of your goal(s). So give yourself a break and go forward!

4 comments:

Maria said...

Thank you. I have yet to keep a New Year's Resolution.

secret agent woman said...

I gave up on resolutions some time ago, but I do still think the new year is a good time to review and re-assess.

Happy New Year's!

S.I.F. said...

You are so right lady! Sometimes, we all need to give ourselves a break!

Emma said...

I totally agree with you! Everyone makes a loooooong list of resolutions, but I'm not sure anyone but Superwoman could keep them all.

Glad you liked my innocence post. (And I'm glad that I'm not the only one who maintains some childhood fun!)

Hope you have a great weekend!