BACKGROUND

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

RanDAMNess Part Some Number or Other

Before I get into Random thoughts, I have to direct everyone to this blog post over at If You Seek Amie. It succinctly and perfectly expresses my own thoughts on the rampant selfishness in the world.

Now then, random thoughts from life:

Each time I pull up to the ATM, it informs me that it speaks a new language. First, it was Spanish and then French, followed by Arabic. Now, it's Russian. My ATM is more cultured than I am.


The other day, I pulled away from said bank and saw that the exit from the bank now had a traffic light. Right in front of the exit is a horizontal crosswalk. That would be all fine and good, but there are no sidewalks ANYWHERE near this place. It's just a busy four-lane road. Not sure where the designers of that thought people were going to be walking and therefore be in need of a crosswalk. It's literally impossible to walk anywhere near that place.

I am a person who doesn't drink alcohol. At all. I have nothing against it, it is not a religious, moral, or otherwise Biblical decision of any kind and I am not a recovering alcoholic. I just don't drink. This seems to cause some people to believe that I cannot make my wishes on this matter known. I have had two different people at two different times feel the need to speak for me when someone offers me something to drink. Both times, I was sitting at a table and someone I did not know well offered me some wine. Before I could open my mouth to say "No thank you," the person who I do know well says "Oh, she doesn't drink." I guess my lack of drinking has obliterated my ability to speak for myself. 

Now, let me be clear. It is not that I am necessarily bothered by this per se. It's just really weird that it has happened to me twice with two different people. If someone offered me a food item I didn't like, no one would feel the need to say "Oh, she doesn't like spinach." And yet, when I am offered a drink, they feel the need to make it known that I don't drink. Maybe I don't care to explain that I don't drink (because that often causes a whole other discussion with people that I usually don't feel the need to engage in). Maybe I just want to say "No thank you" and move on, but for some reason people feel the need to jump in. It's a very odd phenomenon.

5 comments:

Amie said...

My ATMs are not as fancy as yours. Yet. Which is odd, since I also use BofA. Apparently Chicago ATMs are dumb.

And the pointing out you don't drink thing is weird. I'm sure they're trying to be nice and nip it in the bud before people assume you'll want more later or something.. but it's still weird. Really weird.

S.I.F. said...

People are weird. I am forever fascinated by human behavior.

The truth? I would probably be one of those that would answer for you too. And I don't even know why!

Like I said... people are weird!

Maria said...

Gay people run into this oddity all of the time. At a party, no one feels compelled to announce that a friend is heterosexual when they introduce them to someone else. But, invariably when they introduce me to another person, they will say, "Maria is a lesbian."

And then...even odder...the person whom I am meeting will often beam at me as if they'd been told that I won an Olympic medal or something.

Lawfrog said...

@Amie - I don't bank with BOA, I bank with Wells Fargo, put the only available good photo on Google of the language thing was with BOA. So apparently both BOA and WF have intelligent ATMs and it's just a matter of time before they infiltrate your city too.;)

@SIF - if you ever figure out why you would answer for someone in this situation, I would like to know. Seriously, I am genuinely curious about this.

@Maria - WTF?? OK, you totally win the prize for personal facts people feel the need to announce. That is really weird. It's one thing if someone says "This is Maria, she's a doctor/lawyer/teacher/artist" or what have you because the person is introducing you to someone with a similar profession or interest, but to announce your sexual orientation? Totally weird. Maybe you should start telling people when they beam at you that you did in fact win an Olympic medal as well, but that accomplishment was nothing compared to coming out of the closet. Would love to see the looks on people's faces then.

Jaime_sama said...

Hey, the lesbians are pretty selective. They don't accept just anybody.