BACKGROUND

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Sing it!

Sometimes, I talk back to the radio when I'm listening to a song. Something will come on similar to this "She left me, took my dog, and now I'm sad." And I'll think, and occasionally say out loud, "Well, maybe if you hadn't treated her like dirt, she wouldn't have left you." I know I can't be the only one thinking that.

People usually write songs based on things they've experienced, which makes me wonder about songs with lyrics like this -

"Mad woman, bad woman
That's just what you are, yeah,
You'll smile in my face then rip the breaks out my car..."


Well, alrighty then. Poor Bruno Mars, he must have had a hell of a break-up with that psycho.

The interesting thing about songs is that we can all relate to them. Music has been called the universal language and it really is. It doesn't matter if you can't understand the language the song is being sung in, you can feel the emotions through the beat, the tempo of the music. I love it when I hear a song that makes me feel as though the artist is singing directly to me, to my pain, or my joy. Music makes us realize that we are not alone in our struggles and our joy. Elton John put it well in Sad Songs (Say So Much):

If someone else is suffering enough to write it down
When every single word makes sense
Then It's easier to have those songs around
The kick inside is in the line that finally gets to you
and it feels so good to hurt so bad
And suffer just enough to sing the blues.

3 comments:

secret agent woman said...

I love a good sad song and I also talk back to music. The other day we were listening to a song where the guy is apologizing for cheating and saying that when he becomes rich and famous he'll treat her better. My son shook his head and said, "No, that's not the way it works. He'll be even worse."

Lawfrog said...

Your son is very astute! You've raised him well:)

S.I.F. said...

This is one of the reasons I love music so much. There is always a song for every single feeling and emotion out there!