BACKGROUND

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Die a thousand deaths!



After my last post, it only seems fair to give an update on the situation. My mother ended up having a second colonoscopy and finally, finally some answers were found. The surgeon fixed the problem while doing the colonoscopy so there was no need for a second scope or surgery. It was a blood vessel causing the bleeding that is apparently linked to liver issues. My mother will have a liver biopsy soon to assess her liver function.



She was released from the hospital on Saturday, May 21st at which point I promptly took her to Golden Corral, per her request, because the poor woman had not eaten solid food for at least a week at that point. On Saturday, I also drove to the airport to talk to the ticket agents in person about changing her tickets. I took a note from her doctor explaining that she had been hospitalized (again) and that is why she missed the flight. The agents were wonderful and quickly dealt with the re-ticketing at no charge. THANK GOD!


Mom went home on Monday. I drove her to the airport because I too was flying out to Cozumel that morning. I got mom in the security line safely and then my father, who was going to Cozumel too, called me to say he'd missed his flight because he'd been sent to the wrong gate. He was flying out of San Antonio while I was in Houston. At that point, I just thought "Well, sure." Because really, May had been the month of whatthehellweirdshitenoughalready.



I caught my flight and arrived in Cozumel in the afternoon, at which point I promptly went to the hotel and went to bed. It was around 5 p.m. and I was beyond exhausted. I had spent the last night of my mother's hospitalization in her hospital room, sleeping on a "couch bed" they had brought in for me. Sleeping is too strong a word to describe the experience by the way. It was more fitful napping.

I was finally getting into good sleep mode in Cozumel when housekeeping knocked at the door around 7:30. They were there to deliver "welcome chocolates" to me. Now, chocolate is usually a welcome gift, I don't dispute that. But seriously? The first time I was hitting the groove of good sleep in weeks and I'm awakened for that? Die a thousand deaths housekeeper!


Dad finally arrived on Tuesday and we spent several fun days in Cozumel. We left on Friday having eaten at Ernesto's Fajitas and Casa Denis, gone horseback riding, shopped, swam, snorkeled, and scuba dived (Dad did this as he's a certified diver). I slept in on the mornings he was diving and then happily wandered around aimlessly. It was great. We are planning to return in August for a longer stay in Cozumel.

Until then, I have other things to accomplish. I will be taking the NCE exam for my counseling licensure in July. Studying for that is the priority right now, along with job hunting. Never a dull moment.

No comments: