BACKGROUND

Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Graduate: Drained

I am drained. It has been an unbelievable two weeks. I am now the proud owner of a Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology. I started the program in August 2007 and went part-time for the most part. Finally, after a lot of blood, sweat, and tears, I received my degree on Saturday, May 14th, 2011. This was my final stint in college. In 1998, I earned two B.A. degrees from the University of Oregon. I took four years off and then pursued my law degree (J.D.), earning that in 2005. I have been practicing law on and off for the last six years, but counseling is my real passion and I am excited to be able to pursue this profession.


I've already had to exercise my own set of coping skills this last two weeks. My mother came from Oregon to spend time with me and attend my graduation. She arrived on Saturday, May 7th and we spent a few fun days together before she started bleeding internally. She knew that was happening because it has happened before and she knew the signs. I took her to the ER and they admitted her on May 11th. She had blood transfusions, an endoscopy, and a colonoscopy to try and find the source of the bleeding. They could not find it (which is also what happened when this occurred in 2008) and they released her when it stopped on Sunday, May 15th. 


She was out of the hospital for two days and then...it started up again. I brought her back to the hospital on Wednesday of this week and they admitted her again. She had an endoscopy again today, which did not provide any answers and tomorrow, she will have another colonoscopy. She was supposed to go back to Oregon on Wednesday, but clearly that did not happen. I will have to go wrangle with the airline to see about changing tickets for whenever it is we're told she can fly.


I was supposed to leave on Monday for Cozumel, Mexico, but I don't think that is going to happen. It's OK because I've been there three times before, but I was looking forward to some relaxation after a very difficult last semester. However, I am counting my blessings because there are many:


1. I have my Master's degree and I am done with school. I did not set out to get four degrees, but that is what happened and I am proud of my accomplishments and grateful to God for allowing me the tools and opportunities to pursue my education.


2. I have amazing friends. AMAZING! They have all been supportive, loving, caring, and given of themselves throughout the process of my education and my trials in life. They have shared my joy and I am forever grateful for them.

3. My parents are incredible people who love me beyond measure and have stood beside me in the gale force winds of life. 

4. My mother is receiving excellent medical care, which is far and above what she would get in my small home town. 

Much to be grateful for and those are the things worth concentrating on.

2 comments:

secret agent woman said...

Congratulations!!

And I hope your mother heals up quickly.

Kate said...

I have been living under a rock--sorry! Congratulations! You have worked so hard for this and deserve the celebration even now. :)